Course(s) Offered: Health, Natural Science, Engineering, Social, Humanities Research
Course Level: Postdoctoral
Provider: Government of Canada
Country to Study in: Canada
Canada is building world-class research capacity by recruiting top-tier postdoctoral researchers at an internationally competitive level of funding and positioning them for success as the research leaders of tomorrow.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country's economic, social and research‑based growth.
These prestigious two-year fellowships, worth $70,000 per year, are open to both Canadian and international researchers who have recently completed a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to: (a). attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally; (b). develop their leadership potential; AND (c). position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow.
Open to both Canadian and international researchers who have recently completed a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree.
You must confirm that you and your proposed host institution meet the criteria below before you apply for a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Applications that do not meet all of the eligibility criteria will not be accepted.
A). Applicant eligibility
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply.
Eligibility window for degree completion:
No exceptions will be allowed for these eligibility criteria other than those listed below.
Applicants for the 2013–14 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- On a date within the eligibility window of October 23, 2010 through December 31, 2013. Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must do so no later than December 31, 2013 and submit proof no later than January 15, 2014. Applicants who do not submit such proof will be automatically withdrawn from the competition.
- No earlier than October 23, 2008 if they have had their career interrupted or delayed for the purpose of childrearing, illness, or health-related family responsibilities or, for health professionals only, have engaged in post-degree non-research related clinical training (residency, etc). The interruption(s)/delay(s) in your career must have occurred after you fulfilled all the requirements of your degree. Note that your eligibility window will only be extended by the duration of the delay(s)/interruption(s), to a maximum of two years. Justification for the extension must be provided in the Special Circumstances attachment.
B). Host institution eligibility
Institutions eligible to host a Banting Fellow include Canadian and foreign universities, affiliated research hospitals, colleges and not-for-profit organizations with a strong research mandate and capacity. Canadian governments (federal, provincial and municipal) and all for-profit organizations are not eligible to participate as host institutions.
C). For "Other eligibility restrictions", please visit the official website (link to it is below)
Targeted at Canadian and International Researchers
All approved higher institutions of research in Canada
Fields of study
Postdoctoral research in the fields of Health, Natural Science, Engineering, Social, Humanities Research
Number of study
70 fellowships are awarded annually (Should more funds become available, additional fellowships may be awarded.);
a total of up to 140 awards are active at any time.
Fellowships are distributed equally among:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
The duration is 2 years (non‑renewable)
The value of the fellowships is $70,000 per year (taxable)
Method of Application
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between the following:
- applicant – individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career
- host institution – commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution's strategic priorities
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete details on how to apply.
Deadline for complete application submission is October 23, 2013 (8:00 pm EDT)
Without exception, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- are tenable only at the institution which supported the original application for the program
- must be taken up no earlier than April 1 and no later than October 1 following the year of application
- are for two years
Open for International Students: Yes
Further Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Canada for International Students