Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
Course(s) Offered: Several fields
Course Level: Graduate (phd, combined masters/phd)
Provider: Canadian Government
Country to Study in: Canada
The Vanier CGS program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, and health.
The program aims to establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. Both Canadian and international students are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
In an effort to support students in broadening their research horizons and seeking new challenges, the Vanier CGS program strongly encourages candidates to pursue their studies beyond the university that granted their undergraduate and graduate degrees.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
- be seeking financial support to pursue your first doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating university; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2016;
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Applicants are encouraged to contact the university for its definition of a first-class average; and
- not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Nominees will be evaluated and selected based on the following three criteria, which will be weighted equally by the selection committees:
- Academic excellence, as demonstrated by past academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions.
- Research potential, as demonstrated by the candidate’s research history, his/her interest in discovery, the proposed research and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, the potential benefit to Canadians, and any anticipated outcomes.
- Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability) as defined by the following qualities:
- Personal achievement
- Involvement in academic life
- Volunteerism/community outreach
Citizens of ANY country, including Canada (i.e. Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign students)
All approved Canadian universities (i.e those with Vanier CGS allocation).
Without exception, Vanier CGS awards are tenable only at the eligible Canadian university that submitted the nomination.
Fields of study
Areas of research:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities research
Not specified, however, up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually; while a total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
For three (3) years
The total worth and value of the award is $50,000 every year
Method of Application
In all cases, candidates must be nominated by the university at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either:
- the candidate informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected university of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS competition; Or
- the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on the application selection process, and also to access the application form.
Each Canadian university has an internal deadline date for students to submit their applications. Universities must then forward their selected nominations to the Vanier CGS program by 4 November 2015 (8:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
The prestigious Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program is available to both Canadian and international PhD students studying at Canadian universities. It represents an excellent international study opportunity.
Application Deadline: 4 November 2015
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships in Canada for International Students