Program(s) Offered: Sustainable energy
Program Level: Contest (Entrepreneurship)
Country to Award in: UK
If your organisation is a champion of local, sustainable energy, then register your interest in applying for the 2017 Ashden International Award by filling out the required form.
World’s leading green energy awards, Ashden, rewards innovative enterprises and programmes that deliver, or play a key part in enabling the delivery of, renewable energy and energy efficiency at the local level, and through this bring social, economic and environmental benefits.
To win an Ashden Award you must be breaking new ground in sustainable energy. This might include developing new technologies to generate or save energy, increasing access to existing technologies, encouraging low-carbon living or more sustainable travel. Be recognized as an international sustainable energy trailblazer by a globally renowned award scheme.
With the exception of the awards for innovation, the work submitted must have been running for at least a year. All work submitted must have the potential to grow and be easily replicable.
Who can apply for an Ashden International Award?
- Businesses, NGOs, social enterprises and government organisations are all eligible.
- The application can be for a specific renewable energy or energy efficiency programme, enterprise or building, or for a specific product or service. This may be the whole work of an organisation or part of it.
- The work must be proven on the market and have been delivered for at least one year.
- The work must be delivered in at least one of the UN’s developing regions of Africa, Caribbean, Central America, South America, Asia (excluding Japan) and Oceania (excluding Australia and New Zealand) and can be in rural or urban areas. High-income countries in these regions, as defined by the World Bank, are not eligible to apply.
- We do not make awards to start-up, pilot or demonstration projects
Ashden seeks pioneering enterprises and programmes demonstrating achievement in any of the following areas:
- Increasing energy access for homes or businesses,
- Sustainable buildings,
- Developing innovative financial mechanisms or business models for delivering sustainable energy,
- Sustainable travel,
- Improving the lives of women and girls through sustainable energy,
- Sustainable energy and water.
- Powering business.
For 2017, specific requirements/eligibility criteria will be communicated to everyone who has registered
Citizens of Developing countries (see the list of eligible countries(pdf))
Number of awards
In 2017 Ashden will make seven International Awards
The winners will receive prize funds of up to £20,000 each. As well as this cash fund, winning an Ashden Award brings many other benefits, such as:
- National and international publicity, through the work of our specialist communications team.
- A tailored business support programme to help you take your work further: this can include professional mentoring, sales and technical training and introductions to investment and grant finance.
- Access to new networks and investors:
- A broadcast-quality short film of your award-winning work.
- Opportunities to present your work to large and influential audiences at the Ashden Awards ceremony and conference.
- Membership of the network of Ashden Award winners, who are all leading practitioners in sustainable energy.
- The acclaim of winning a prestigious Ashden Award.
If your sustainable energy work fits the awards criteria and the particular interests for 2017, you can apply for an Ashden Award by filling in the online registration form at http://apply.ashden.org/. If you would like to discuss whether your work is relevant to the awards or have questions about the application process, please contact the Awards Coordinator at email@example.com.
It is important to read the detailed information(pdf) about the Ashden Awards and also visit the official website (link to it is below) to read some of the case studies of previous winners before applying.
Ashden accepts applications from summer until the autumn, but if you’ve missed the application window you can still register your interest for the following year’s Awards. See official website via link below for more on this. All applications for the current call must be received by Tuesday 8 November 2016 23:59 GMT
Ashden is a London-based charity that works in the field of sustainable energy and development. Its work includes the annual Ashden Awards, advocacy and research in the field of sustainable energy, and mentoring and practical support for award winners. Sarah Butler-Sloss created the awards in 2001, from the Ashden Trust, one of the Sainsbury Family Charitable Trusts. In 2011 the charity changed its working name to Ashden, with its full name registered with the Charity Commission being 'Ashden, Sustainable solutions, better lives'.
Sustainable energy includes both energy efficiency measures, such as installing insulation or low-energy light bulbs in buildings; and renewable energy that’s generated close to the point of use, so local communities benefit. Crucially, it also includes changing our behaviour – little things like switching off lights, or cycling instead of driving, all make a big difference.
Application Deadline: 8 November 2016
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Developing countries)
More Scholarship Information and Application(International Award)
More Scholarship Information and Application(Ashden Awards page)
Related: Entrepreneurship Awards for Developing Countries