Course(s) Offered: All fields
Course Level: Undergraduate
Provider: Bristol University
Country to Study in: UK
The Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship scheme is open to undergraduate students with exceptional musical, dramatic or sporting talent.
The scheme is open to students applying to any undergraduate course at the University (although, as the scheme is designed to attract students with exceptional abilities outside their normal field of study, a Music student would not be eligible for a music scholarship nor a Drama student for a drama scholarship).
For entry in 2015/2016 academic year, up to 20 scholarships will be available, valued at £1,500 per annum for scholarships in Sport; and £3,000 for scholarships in Music and Drama. The scheme is open to home and international students.
Students applying for a Single or Joint honours Music degree will not be eligible for a Music scholarship and students applying for a Single or Joint honours Drama degree will not be eligible for a Drama scholarship.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate outstanding artistic, creative or sporting potential. Awards will be made on a competitive basis but applicants will normally be expected to satisfy the following minimum criteria:
- Music/Vocal awards: A minimum of Grade VIII in examinations offered by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (or equivalent). Those students short listed for a scholarship will be required to attend an audition in Bristol at the end of February or beginning of March 2015. Full details will be sent to short listed students during the first two weeks in February. Any students invited to audition, who are not able to attend on the advertised date, will not be considered for a scholarship. Travel Bursaries to attend the audition are available for home (UK) students from lower income families (normally those with household incomes of £42,875 or less).
- Drama awards: Evidence of sustained extra-curricular engagement with theatre and/or filmmaking, along with distinguished achievement in relevant school subjects (eg theatre studies, film studies or other arts/humanities subjects.
- Sporting awards: Successful applicants will have had considerable success at representative level. It would be unusual for an award to be given to a student who had not had International honours, at least at Junior level. Although a student might apply for other scholarships, such as the government funded Talented Athlete Sports Scheme awards, the holder of a Vice-Chancellor’s award must not hold other funded sporting grants.
Citizens of ALL countries of the world (i.e. both home and international students)
University of Bristol, Bristol; United Kingdom
Fields of study
All undergraduate level courses of study offered at the University of Bristol
Number of awards
Up to twenty-four awards are normally available each year
The scholarships will be awarded in the first instance for a period of one year, renewable provided that the scholarship conditions and criteria (see 'Important Scholarship Conditions and Criteria' below) continue to be met.
In addition to the 'Important Scholarship Conditions and Criteria' below, students should also satisfactorily progress through to the next year of study on their chosen course. Scholarships will not normally be available if a year of study has to be repeated for academic reasons.
Scholarships in Music and Drama are valued at £3,000; and scholarships in Sport are valued at £1,500 per year
Method of Application
The student shall apply through UCAS for admission to any undergraduate course at the University of Bristol by 15 January in the year of admission.
The student must submit a separate Scholarship application directly to the Admissions Department by the 15 January in the year of admission. The scholarship application form can be downloaded from the official website (link to it is below).
The student must firmly accept an academic offer of a place on any undergraduate course at the University of Bristol by 1 September in the year of entry. If the offer is conditional, the student will need to fulfill the terms of his/her offer and have their place confirmed by 1 September in the year of entry.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this scholarship offer.
The deadline date for application to UCAS for admission (into any undergraduate course at the University of Bristol), and for Scholarship application (made directly to the University of Bristol) is 15th January of the year of admission.
The deadline date to firmly accept an academic offer of a place on any undergraduate course at the University of Bristol is 1st of September of that same year.
Important Scholarship Conditions and Criteria:
Successful applicants will be expected to put Bristol as their firm choice in the first instance, and with regards to their scholarship offer, either:
- Successfully audition for the University’s Symphony or Chamber orchestras, or University Singers or Chamber Choir (keyboard players would participate in Chamber ensemble playing, approved by the Music Department) and participate in other musical opportunities offered from time to time by the Department of Music.
- Contribute substantially to the output of the University of Bristol Union (UBU) DRAMSOC, Spotlights, or Music Theatre Bristol societies
- Become a member of the High Performance Squad (Advanced Sports Squad), part of the University High Performance programme
Open to International Applications: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in UK for International Students