Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Postgraduate
Provider: Slovak Government
Country to Study in: Slovak Republic
The Government of the Slovak Republic approved the establishment of the National Scholarship Programme for the Support of Mobility of Students, PhD Students, University Teachers, Researchers and Artists in 2005.
The Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic is funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic.
The following individuals can apply for a scholarship in the framework of the National Scholarship Programme:
- University students whose second level of higher education is taking place at a foreign university and who are invited by a public, private or state university in the Slovak Republic to an academic mobility for a purpose of study in the Slovak Republic;
- PhD students whose higher education or research preparation is taking place at a foreign university or research organisation and who are invited by a public, private or state university or research organisation eligible to carry out PhD study programmes in the Slovak Republic to an academic mobility for a purpose of study or research in the Slovak Republic;
- University teachers from foreign universities who are invited by a public, private or state university in the Slovak Republic to a lecture / research / artistic stay in the Slovak Republic;
- Researchers or artists who are invited by a public, private or state university, research organisation eligible to carry out PhD study programmes or non-governmental organisation in the Slovak Republic to a lecture / research / artistic stay in the Slovak Republic.
- foreign university students and PhD students intending to enrol or accepted for entire Master or PhD studies in Slovakia, or those who are already studying in Slovakia and would like to cover a part of their costs by the National Scholarship Programme;
- foreign university teachers and researches who are already teaching or doing research at Slovak universities and research organisations;
- citizens of the Slovak Republic studying, teaching or doing research at foreign universities or research organisations;
- foreign applicants accepted for other scholarship programmes in Slovakia (for example Visegrad Fund, Erasmus, CEEPUS, bilateral agreements, etc.).
Citizens of the following countries can apply for a scholarship:
- Member States of the European Union;
- Other countries participating in the Bologna Process (listed are only non-EU Member States ) – Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Republic of Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Russian Federation, Serbia (including Kosovo), Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine;
- Canada, Mexico, USA, countries of Latin and Central America;
- Australia, China (including Taiwan), Egypt, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Republic of South Africa, Thailand, Vietnam.
All approved / accredited Slovak universities and research organisations.
Fields of study
Courses offered by the Universities
Number of awards
Not specified by provider
The durations are as follows:
- University students - Scholarship period 1 to 2 semesters;
- PhD students / university teachers / researchers or artists - Scholarship period 1 to 12 months;
Covers scholarship holders living costs (accommodation, boarding, etc.) during his/her study, research, lecture or artistic stay at Slovak universities, research or non-governmental organisations.
Scholarship holders can ask their host institution in Slovakia to assist them to arrange their accommodation and necessary documents regarding their scholarship stay in Slovakia, or they have to arrange them by themselves.
The National Scholarship Programme does not cover any travel costs to and from Slovakia.
Method of Application
Scholarship application forms are submitted on-line on the official website (link to it is below). In order to submit the on-line application, it is necessary to fill out the on-line application form (in Slovak, English, French, Spanish or Russian version), attach all required documents in requested formats and press the "submit" button.
Original hard copies of documents marked with asterisk (*) shall be delivered to SAIA Bratislava before the deadline at the following address:
Námestie slobody 23
812 20 Bratislava 1
Original hard copy of an Admission or Invitation Letter from a Slovak university or research organisation can be sent by the host institution in Slovakia directly to SAIA, n.o.
You may read through the 2014/2015 call for Scholarship Application and the Scholarship Terms and Conditions. For full and complete details, please visit the official website (link to it is below).
The on-line application system opens not later than 6 weeks before the deadline. The application form can be filled out only after the on-line application system has been opened.
The annual deadline dates for each year are 30th April by 16:00 CET – scholarship stays for the next academic year; AND 31st October by 16:00 CET – scholarship stays for the summer semester of the running academic year.
If a deadline falls on Saturday or Sunday, the on-line application has to be submitted within the given deadline. The original hard copies of requiered documents shall be delived to SAIA, n.o., not later than the next working day after the deadline, by 12:00 CET.
Foreign applicants who need to apply for entrance visa to Slovakia or for temporary residence permit are recommended to take into account the necessary visa/residence processing period when planning the starting date of their scholarship stay. Information about visa conditions is provided by Slovak Embassies.
Contact or enquiries?
Lukáš MARCIN, programme administrator
Tel: +421-2-5930 4713
Application Deadline: 31 October 2014
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Slovak Government Scholarships for Selected Developing Countries