Course(s) Offered: Agriculture, related fields
Course Level: Postgraduate (masters, PhD, fellowships)
Provider: African Union & Indian Government
Country to Study in: India
The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme (MNAUSS) has received support under the Africa-India strategic partnership for some special scholarships in the field of Agriculture for Africans working in African institutions of higher learning and research.
The Africa-India Capacity Building Scholarship Programme comprises:
- Capacity Building Masters Degree Scholarship
- Special University Lecturers PhD Fellowship Programme
To be eligible for the Africa-India Fellowship Programme, a candidate must:
- Be a National / Citizen of an African Union Member State
- Have good knowledge of English
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts.
- Have at least two (2) years post-graduation work experience
- Be willing to commit to work in an African Union Member State on completion of study for at least three (3) years.
An applicant for Master’s Programme must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Be under the age of thirty five (35) years.
- Be a holder of a four year Bachelor’s Degree in respective field of Agriculture, at least Upper Second Class Honours.
An applicant for PhD Programme must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Be under the age of forty five (45) years.
- Be a holder of a high quality Master’s Degree in respective field of Agriculture.
Citizens of ANY African Union Member State. You may see the complete list of AU member states on the official AU website.
Accredited Indian Agricultural Universities.
The fellowships will be available for study at identified reputable Indian Agricultural Universities having strong research and teaching capabilities and adequate strength in terms of faculty and infrastructure facilities
Fields of study
Masters and doctoral level fellowship studies in Agriculture and Allied Sciences for four years
Number of awards
Every year, the Africa-India Fellowship Programme, started in 2010, offers 75 fellowships (50 for M.Sc. and 25 for Ph.D.)
The Master’s programme spans over a two years period; whereas the Ph.D. programme spans over a three year duration period.
It is IMPORTANT to note that no fellowship will be provided for any extended period to complete the degree due to what-so-ever reason.
A fellowship will be awarded:
- for two years, 12,000 Indian Rupees per month (for Master’s programme)
- for three years, 15,000 Indian Rupees per month (for doctoral programme)
The cost of air ticket and visa will be paid through the Indian Mission in the respective African Country.
All the agricultural universities have residential requirements and students have to stay in the hostels. All foreign students are provided accommodation in the university campus.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should complete the Application Form in PDF format as well as the EXCEL Applicants’ Data Sheet.
The applicants should submit their formal application (in English only) and include the following:
- Application letter.
- A recent passport-size photograph
- Summarized CV indicating date of birth, nationality, work experience, and names and contacts of three referees.
- Certified copies of university diplomas/degrees.
- Photocopies of academic transcripts.
- Certified copies of the syllabus of courses covered in university/college attended
- Brief description of applicant’s research project proposal with a maximum of 1000 words (only for PhD Candidates).
- Two (2) Reference Letters with contact addresses.
- Photo-copy of the Data-Page of their Travel Passport.
Mwalimu Nyerere Scholarship programme,
African Union Commission,
P.O. Box 3243,
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
In addition applicants must scan and produce electronic copies of all the above documents (converted to PDF format) along with the Application Form and EXCEL Applicants’ Data Sheet; and send to the following e-mail addresses: email@example.com
and copied to: woudaseA@africa-union.org and OlgaA@africa-union.org.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below), and also read through the 2012 Call for the Africa-India Fellowship Programme.
This scholarship is awarded annually. The deadline date for the current session is the 29th day of February 2012.
Candidates are to note that communication in Indian Universities is in the English Language. Certificate of Proficiency in English Language will be required from short listed candidates.
Certified copies of all documents should be accompanied with English translations.
Preference will be given to candidates who have already secured admissions to Indian Universities. However, candidates who have not yet secured admissions would be placed in available universities in India.
Medical Certificate of Physical Fitness will be required from short listed candidates
African Union (Union Africaine; UNIÃO AFRICANA)
Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA
P. O. Box 3243
Fax: 251-11-551 7844
Application deadline: 29 February 2012
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application(2013 Africa-India fellowship page)
More Scholarship Information and Application(Mwalimu AU scholarship page)
Related: Top International MBA Scholarships for Students from Developing Countries