Course(s) Offered: Any field of study
Course Level: Undergraduate (Bachelors); Postgraduate (Masters, PhD)
Provider: Netherlands Government
Country to Study in: Netherlands
The prestigious and highly competitive Huygens Scholarship Programme allows talented students to study in the Netherlands in the final phase of their bachelor’s studies or during their master’s studies.
The Dutch Minister of Education, Culture and Science has allocated seven million euros for excellent students coming to the Netherlands under the HSP Huygens Programme.
IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ:
Due to education spending cuts, the Dutch cabinet has decided to terminate the Huygens Scholarship Programme as from 1 January 2012. The programme is closed for new applications.
If you are currently studying in Holland under the Huygens Scholarship Programme, your scholarship will not be affected. The grant letter and conditions remain valid and you may continue to pursue and complete your study programme. On completion of your studies, your Dutch host institution will send Nuffic a copy of your academic record (transcript) or, if you are a PhD student, an evaluation report of your PhD research activities.
If you want to take part in the HSP Huygens Programme, you must meet the following requirements:
- You are an excellent student: you have obtained excellent results in all your previous studies and you are in the top 10% of students in your study or research programme.
- You must have already attended a programme of education (e.g. high school or above) in a country outside the Netherlands.
- The Dutch study programme should be registered in CROHO, the Central Register of Higher Education Programmes. You can find this information in the Dutch nomination letter provided by the Dutch host institution.
- You should be in the final phase of your bachelor’s studies, or studying towards a master’s degree in the Netherlands, and your study must be used primarily to earn a degree at the Dutch institution.
- At the start of the academic year (1 September) in which you study in the Netherlands, you must be no older than 35 years of age.
- Scholarships are only awarded for studies lasting at least 6 months, but no longer than 24 months.
- Your studies or research in the Netherlands must constitute a deepening and broadening of your previous studies.
- If you are already a graduate, you must have graduated less than two years ago.
- It is possible to do research or practical training, but it must form part of your studies (a programme on the CROHO list), i.e. you must receive study credits for it.
Citizens of all countries.
PhD applications can only be accepted from excellent students with the Chinese, Croatian or Turkish nationality.
Dutch Institutions and Universities. See the HSP contact list (link found below) for the list of host institutions.
Fields of study
Any field of study available at participating schools
Number of Awards
There is no fixed number of available scholarships. The actual number is determined by the total cost of the variable components of the scholarships.
The scholarships include the following components:
- a generous reimbursement of tuition fees or a contribution towards bench fees for the PhD thesis;
- a monthly allowance of €1,380 (this includes a standard contribution towards healthcare insurance);
- visa fees (standard contribution);
- a one-off payment towards international travel costs (standard contribution based on nationality);
Method of Application
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Please see the NOTE under 'Scholarship Description' above.
When you apply for admission to a programme in the Netherlands, you should indicate that your study performance is excellent and that you wish to be nominated for the prestigious HSP Huygens Programme by the Dutch institution you would like to study at.
After receiving the official HSP Huygens nomination letter from the Dutch host institution, you can start preparing your application file.
If the Dutch institution does not agree with your candidacy for a HSP Huygens Scholarship, they will not provide you with a HSP Huygens nomination letter. This means that you cannot apply for an HSP Huygens scholarship.
Some Dutch institutions work with early (admission) application deadlines for students wishing to apply for scholarships and therefore need an early notification.
Please check the website of the institutions concerned.
The application deadline dates will vary depending on the institution concerned, however, almost all schools would have a deadline of on or before the 1st of February of each year. Please check the website of the institutions you are interested in.
Nuffic has prepared a list of the HSP contact persons at Dutch institutions. Please only email the contact person of the institution you applied for.
Application Deadline: 1 February 2011
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top Scholarships in the Netherlands for International Students