Applications are invited for a limited number of scholarships from suitable South African candidates who intend to register for full-time Master’s (degrees by research only) and Doctoral studies at the University of Cape Town in 2011 and who will undertake research in the areas shown below.
The following areas of research with regard to Environment
Pesticides, Seafood sustainability, Water Usage, Waste water, Energy/Climate Change, Biodiversity
Any area of research in the Sciences or Health Sciences with regard to PROBIOTICS
The Fellowships will be awarded on the basis of academic excellence and only students who achieved 65% and above for the Honour’s degree are eligible to apply.
Award and Application Detail
Values: Masters study – R70000 per annum for subsistence, plus R5000 towards the cost of tuition and R5000 allowance for research costs or conference travel (R80000 in total). Doctoral study – R85000 per annum for subsistence, plus R5000 towards the cost of tuition costs and R10000 allowance for research cost or conference travel. (R100000 in total).
The tenure of award is strictly one year. Although Renewals are not guaranteed, successful candidates may apply for renewal of the Fellowships, as follows:
- Masters – renewal for 2nd year of the degree ( 2 years in all).
- Doctoral – renewal for a 2nd and 3rd year of the degree (3 years in all)
Note: Renewal of award for students for who will proceed to a THIRD year of Masters or a FOURTH year of Doctoral study Will Not Be Considered.
Final selection of eligible candidates will be made by the university’s PSFC (Postgraduate Studies Funding Committee). The PSFC will take into consideration recommendations made by the Trustees.
- Completion of the Woolworths UCT Fellowship Programme APPLICATION FORM (available from the Postgraduate Funding Office or from URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/apply/funding/postgraduate/applications/ )
- A letter of application in which the proposed area of study and its relationship to the areas of study stated above (ENVIRONMENT & PROBIOTICS) is clarified.
- A one A-4 page CV.
- A certified copy of applicant’s South African ID Book.
- 2 letters of reference from academics who have taught/supervised the applicants in the past three years.
- Certified copies of university transcripts, including those of the applicant’s undergraduate degree(s).
- Proof of acceptance of the student by the proposed academic department, in the form of a brief letter/statement from the proposed course-convenor or supervisor.
- A summary of the research proposal of the proposed study and an indication that the research proposal has or is likely to be accepted by the Department. confine this document to no longer than 2 A4 sheets.
Successful Applicants may be requested to work together with Woolworths to plan and organise seminars or conferences based on their research findings. Short-listed Applicants must be prepared to undergo interviews with officials from Woolworths
Complete application packages must be sent to
Postgraduate Centre & Funding Office
University of Cape Town,
Private Bag, Rondebosch 7701
by no later than 30 September 2010
Inappropriate, Incomplete and/or Late applications will be disqualified.
The University of Cape Town reserves the right to cancel the award, to make no awards at all and to effect changes to the Conditions of Award.
Further Scholarship Information
TIP: Use the 'Study & Scholarships search' box above and below on this page to search