Study Subject(s): See 'Fields of study' below
Course Level: Postgraduate (Research, Advanced Training)
Scholarship Provider: TWAS
Scholarship can be taken at: Any Country
TWAS, the academy of sciences for the developing world offers fellowships to young scientists in developing countries to enable them to spend between three and twelve months at a research institution in a developing country other than their own. The purpose of these fellowships is to enhance the research capacity of promising scientists, especially those at the beginning of their research career, helping them to foster linkages for further collaboration.
- The fellowships are for research and advanced training. They are offered to young scientists holding at least an MSc or equivalent degree.
- Eligible applicants for the fellowships are young scientists working in any area of natural sciences who are citizens of a developing country and are employed by a research institution in a developing country.
- There is no age limit. However, preference is given to young scientists at the beginning of their research career and those working in Least Developed Countries.
- Institutes of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), China, are not eligible host institutions under this programme. Applicants interested in conducting a fellowships in China are required to check whether their chosen host is a CAS institute. For a complete list of CAS institutes, see: TWAS-CAS Postgraduate or the TWAS-CAS Postdoctoral Fellowship programmes. Applicants wishing to attend a CAS institute should apply to either the
Scientists from developing countries.
Fellowships are provided for South-South visits only, i.e. for visits by researchers from developing countries to institutions in other developing countries.
Fields of study
Number of Awards
The fellowships are offered for a minimum of three months and a maximum of twelve months. TWAS covers international low-cost airfare plus a contribution towards subsistence amounting to a maximum of US$ 300 per month. No other costs will be provided by TWAS. The host institution is expected to provide accommodation and food as well as research facilities.
Method of Application
- Applications should be completed in English.
- Part 1 of the application form should be completed by the applicant and the head of the applicant's HOME institution, and sent to the TWAS secretariat. Material requested:
- the completed application form;
- passport-style photograph as a separate JPEG file;
- copy of passport page giving personal details (even if expired);
- the applicant's curriculum vitae;
- full list of publications (do not enclose reprints of articles!);
- letters of recommendation submitted separately to TWAS by two referees who are familiar with the applicant's work;
- proforma airfare quotation from a local travel agency for flights with the most direct and economic route.
- Part 2 must be sent by the applicant to the head of the institution he/she intends to visit, together with a copy of Part 1 (for information). Part 2 should then be completed by the head of the host institution and sent to the TWAS secretariat. NB: Applications cannot be considered unless Part 2 has been completed by the head of the host institute.
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-687
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
Scholarship Application Deadline: For receipt of applications (Parts 1 and 2): 1st October (annually)
Scholarship Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application