Study Subject: Any (see 'Fields of study' below)
Scholarship Level: Undergraduate (primary, secondary, post-secondary)
Scholarship Provider: ACCES Foundation
Scholarships can be taken at: Kenya
ACCES is a non-profit society providing Africans with access to education to build better lives for themselves and their society. Since 1993, ACCES has:
- Sponsored over 1,500 Kenyans to study in Kenyan universities, colleges and training colleges
- Set up 9 primary schools for over 1,200 children
- Helped reach thousands of Kenyans with information about HIV/AIDS
- Established a small business training and micro-enterprise program
To be eligible for consideration, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a Kenyan Citizen, below 30 years of age and MUST be from Western province of Kenya.
- Must have a minimum K.C.S.E grade of C+ for female and B- for Male.
- For those already admitted in college, they must have a college performance grade of B and above.
- Must be either enrolled or with an admission letter to a learning institution (Post graduate program students are not eligible).
- For university students, only undergraduates with HELB loan of Kshs. 40, 000 and below and demonstrating further financial need will be considered.
- Those who have deferred studies due to financial constraints or have failed to enrol in any institution will be considered.
- Must be needy – i.e., unable to attend school without ACCES support.
ACCES scholarships are for the "bright and needy Kenyan youth"
The scholarships are for study at Kenyan universities and technical colleges
Fields of study
The following partial list of programs:
Accounting; Food Technology; Agriculture; Forestry; Applied Science; Journalism; Architecture; Lab Technology; Auto Mechanics; Law; Bachelor of Arts; Library Information; Bachelor of Education; Lorry Driving; Bachelor of Commerce; Medical Lab Tech; Bachelor of Science; Medicine; Banking; Meteorology; Building Construction; Motor Mechanics; Business Administration; Nursing; Cabin Crew; Pharmacy; Certified Public; Primary Teaching; Accountancy; Secondary School; Customs/Ports/Cargo; Secretarial; Mgmt.; Surveying; Dental Surgery; Tourism; Diploma; Teaching; Vet Medicine; Early Childhood; Partial program funding (unclassified); Education; Electronics; Engineering; Environmental Studies; Fisheries
Scholarship benefitsThe ACCES Giving Levels include:
- Over 30 donors have chosen to invest in the long-term sustainable growth of ACCES by making 5-year pledges of $1,000 ("Foundation"), $5,000 ("Vision") or $10,000 ("Inspiration").
- Hundreds more donors have made multi-year pledges of various amounts, again allowing ACCES to responsibly plan for the future growth and maintenance of our programs.
- Monthly donations - which can easily be set up through automated bank withdrawls, credit card payments, United Way, or post-dated cheques - help ACCES to have a regular flow of revenue to ensure ongoing support for the students.
- Post-secondary students can be sponsored for $50/month, while Secondary students require $40/month. Donors are assigned a student, from whom you receive a photo, bio, and annual letters and reports.
- Donors, groups and schools may also choose to support a specific classroom (grade 1-8) for $1,000-$2,000/year, with semi-annual exchange of letters, photos and updates.
- Donors can make a donation in the name of a friend or family member through our Gift Catalog. Donors receive a tax receipt, and also a beautiful photo gift card explaining the nature of their gift, to send to the recipient.
Method of Application
Applications for scholarships are handled through the office in Kakamega. There is an advertised intake once per year, from March 15 to May 15 and is open to bright and needy students from Western Province only.
Due to regulatory restrictions, ACCES is not able to fund students studying abroad, taking post graduate studies, or students from outside Kenya.
Please DO NOT contact ACCES directly to ask for assistance. All interviews and selection is done in Kakamega, Kenya, by the Kenya staff.
Only short-listed applicants will be notified for an interview. If you do not hear from ACCES Kenya by 15thJune, your application has been unsuccessful this time.
#137 - 970 Burrard Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada V6Z 2R4
Scholarship Application Deadline: 15th May each year (annually)
Scholarship Open to International students: No (ONLY Kenyans)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Was above article useful? Please share: