Study Subject: Any field of study
Scholarship Level: Postgraduate (masters, PhD, Postdoctoral, research)
Scholarship Provider: World Bank Group/World Bank Family Network.
Scholarship can be taken at: USA, Canada
The Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF) was founded in 1981 to honor the memory of Margaret Craig McNamara (1915-1981), the wife of Robert S. McNamara, President of the World Bank from 1968 to 1981.
In 2005 the MMMF began exploring ways to expand its scholarship program to include study in developing country universities. Between 2007-2010, pilot grants were awarded to 15 students studying in South Africa.
The MMMF awards educational grants to women from developing countries whose graduate studies and future plans aim to benefit women and children in their respective regions. Commitment to this goal is an essential selection criterion. (See also MMMF Scholarships in Africa)
A woman is eligible to apply for an MMMF grant if she meets all the following criteria:
- has a record of service to women and children and a commitment to improve the lives of women and children in developing countries.
- resides in the U.S. or Canada at the time she submits the application.
- is enrolled (in residence) at an accredited U.S. or Canadian educational institution for the academic year 2012-2013, intends to be enrolled for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- uses the grant toward the completion of her degree.
- is a national of a lower or middle income country, as designated by MMMF Country Eligibility List (see list in 'Eligible Groups' below).
- is not a U.S. or Canadian citizen, permanent U.S. resident or Canadian Landed Immigrant.
- intends to return to her country(or other developing country) within two years of receiving the MMMF grant.
- demonstrates financial need.
- is at least 25 years old by December 31, 2012 (i.e. Born before December 31, 1987).
- is not related to a World Bank Group staff member or their spouse.
For students from developing countries who are currently studying in the United States or Canada. Country Eligibility List—Academic Year 2013-2014 is as below:
Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt , Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Other Countries: Afghanistan, Ecuador , Macedonia, FYR of , Albania, Arab Rep., Serbia, El Salvador, Seychelles, Malaysia, Antigua and Barbuda, Eritrea, Maldives, Solomon Islands, Argentina, Armenia, Fiji, Marshall Islands, Azerbaijan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh , St. Kitts and Nevis, Belarus, Georgia, Mexico, St. Lucia, Belize, Micronesia, Fed. Sts , St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Grenada, Bhutan, Guatemala, Moldova, Suriname, Bolivia, Mongolia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Syrian Arab Rep., Guyana, Tajikistan, Brazil, Haiti, Bulgaria, Honduras, Myanmar, Thailand, India, Timor-Leste, Indonesia, Nepal, Cambodia, Iran, Islamic Rep. of, Nicaragua,Tonga, Iraq, Trinidad and Tobago, Cape Verde, Jamaica, Jordan, Pakistan, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Palau, Turkmenistan, Chile, China, Kiribatii, Panama, Colombia, Korea, Republic of, Papua New Guinea, Ukraine, Comoros, Kosovo, Paraguay, Uruguay, Kyrgyz Rep, Peru, Uzbekistan, Lao PDR, Philippines, Vanuatu, Costa Rica, Latvia, Poland, Venezuela, RB, Lebanon, Romania, Vietnam, Croatia, Russian Federation, West Bank & Gaza, Yemen, Rep, Dominica, Samoa, Dominican Republic, São Tomé and Principe
Any accredited institution of higher learning in the USA and/or canada
The grant is a onetime award to last for the full duration of study
The MMMF awards grants of approximately $12,000 each; grants are not renewable.
Every year, the MMMF also invites the recipients to Washington DC to participate in a three day Awards Program organized in their honor.
Method of Application
A complete application package consists of the following (NO EXCEPTIONS):
- One Online Application Form (see item A below). Click here to have a look at a draft application.
- Two Recommendations using the online form and instructions (see item B below).
- Four additional documents as listed in item C to be sent in one email.
|Choose one of the following options to start/access your online application:|
|First Time User:||Returning User:|
|Register to apply||Log-in to continue with application|
[B]. Online Recommendation Forms: Deadline- January 11th, 2013 at 5:00 pm EST
- Two online recommendation forms are required. One must be from a professor at your present institution. The other can be from a former professor/supervisor from your country or elsewhere. At least one of these individuals should have known you for at least two semesters.
- These recommendations must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 11th, 2013. Please remind your referee to use the same full name for you, as per the electronic application form.
- Copy of your passport picture page;
- Copy of your US or Canada visa / study permit;
- Copy of your Official transcript for Fall 2012, or most recent transcript, from your current university only (if your program is for research and without grades, a progress report from a supervising professor must be submitted ), with institutional seal and Registrar’s signature;
- Official confirmation of registration in your academic institution for current semester, with institutional seal and Registrar’s signature. Acceptance Letters are not needed and do not substitute for Proof of Registration/Enrollment.
Application for academic year 2013/2014 is open from October 15th until January 9th, 2013. Please see timelines above.
NOTE that it is essential to visit the official website (see link below) for full and detailed application information.
The MMMF does not answer phone queries regarding grants. Please send your emails to email@example.com. For more contact details and information, click here
Scholarship Application Deadline: 5pm, 9 January 2013 (annually)
Scholarships Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Was above article useful? Please share: