Course(s) Offered: Any field of study
Course Level: Postgraduate (masters, PhD, Postdoctoral, research)
Provider: World Bank Group/World Bank Family Network.
Country to Study in: USA, Canada
The Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF) scholarship is for female students from Developing Countries who are currently studying in the United States or Canada.
The MMMF provides grants to women from developing countries to help further their education and strengthen their leadership skills to improve the lives of women and children in developing countries.
A woman is eligible to apply for an MMMF grant if she meets all the following criteria:
- has a record of service to women and children and a commitment to improve the lives of women and children in developing countries
- resides in the U.S. or Canada at the time she submits the application
- Be enrolled in an accredited educational institution in the US or Canada for the full academic year in which the application is submitted and intend to be enrolled for the subsequent year covered by the grant.
- will use the grant toward the completion of her degree
- is a national of a lower or middle income developing member country, as designated by the MMMF Country Eligibility List
- is not a U.S. or Canadian citizen, permanent U.S. resident or Canadian Landed Immigrant
- intends to return to her country (or other developing country) within two years of completing use of the MMMF grant and perform at least two years of service
- demonstrates financial need and satisfactory academic performance
- Be at least 25 years of age by the relevant application deadline
- is not related to a World Bank Group staff member or his/her spouse
Citizens of Developing countries as listed below:
Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt , Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Other Countries: Afghanistan, Ecuador , Macedonia, FYR of , Albania, Arab Rep., Serbia, El Salvador, Seychelles, Malaysia, Antigua and Barbuda, Eritrea, Maldives, Solomon Islands, Argentina, Armenia, Fiji, Marshall Islands, Azerbaijan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh , St. Kitts and Nevis, Belarus, Georgia, Mexico, St. Lucia, Belize, Micronesia, Fed. Sts , St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Grenada, Bhutan, Guatemala, Moldova, Suriname, Bolivia, Mongolia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Syrian Arab Rep., Guyana, Tajikistan, Brazil, Haiti, Bulgaria, Honduras, Myanmar, Thailand, India, Timor-Leste, Indonesia, Nepal, Cambodia, Iran, Islamic Rep. of, Nicaragua,Tonga, Iraq, Trinidad and Tobago, Cape Verde, Jamaica, Jordan, Pakistan, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Palau, Turkmenistan, Chile, China, Kiribatii, Panama, Colombia, Korea, Republic of, Papua New Guinea, Ukraine, Comoros, Kosovo, Paraguay, Uruguay, Kyrgyz Rep, Peru, Uzbekistan, Lao PDR, Philippines, Vanuatu, Costa Rica, Latvia, Poland, Venezuela, RB, Lebanon, Romania, Vietnam, Croatia, Russian Federation, West Bank & Gaza, Yemen, Rep, Dominica, Samoa, Dominican Republic, São Tomé and Principe
Any accredited institution of higher learning in the USA and/or Canada
The grant is a onetime award to last for the full duration of your study
The MMMF awards grants are approximately $12,000 each; and grants are not renewable.
Every year, the MMMF also typically invites the recipients to Washington DC to participate in a three day Awards Program organized in their honor.
Method of Application
A COMPLETE application package consists of the following (NO EXCEPTIONS):
- One Online Application Form (see item A below). Click here to have a look at a draft application.
- Two Online Recommendations Forms using the online form and instructions (see item B below).
- Eight additional documents as listed in item C to be sent in one email.
- One (1) passport-size photograph
- Picture page of your passport
- Copy of your US/Canada visa
- For applicants at US Universities, copy of I-20/DC-2019 (formally IAP-66)
- For applicants at Canadian Universities, copy of Study Permit
- Official estimate of annual expenses for students published by your institution
- Original of Fall 2012 Registration
- Official copy of transcript for Fall 2011 from your Registrar
Applications for the academic year 2015/2016 is open from Sunday, September 15th until Thursday, January 15th, 2015.
The Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF) was founded in 1981 to honor the memory of Margaret Craig McNamara (1915-1981), the wife of Robert S. McNamara, President of the World Bank from 1968 to 1981.
In 2005 the MMMF began exploring ways to expand its scholarship program to include study in developing country universities. Between 2007-2010, pilot grants were awarded to 15 students studying in South Africa.
The MMMF does not answer phone queries regarding grants. Please send your emails to scholarships[at]mmmf-grants.org. For more contact details and information, click here
Application Deadline: 15 January 2015
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: MMMF Scholarships in Africa
Was above article useful? Please share: