Study subject(s): Any field (see 'Fields of study' below)
Study Level: Undergraduate (bachelors)
Scholarship Provider: Hongkong Bank Foundation
Scholarships can be taken at: Any country
In 2006, The Hongkong Bank Foundation contributed HKD8 million in scholarships, bursaries and other development awards to more than 300 students from tertiary institutions in Hong Kong. For the 2011/12 academic year, The Hongkong Bank Foundation is offering the HSBC Overseas Scholarships, a maximum total value of HK$4,000,000, to selected local full-time undergraduate students.
The scholarships enable recipients to spend one year of their degree programme at one of the designated overseas universities and return back to their local University to complete their studies and graduate. The local University will nominate eligible candidates to compete with students from other universities in Hong Kong for the Scholarships.
Application is open to non-final year undergraduate students who are enrolled in a degree programme, and who:
- are Hong Kong permanent residents with right of abode in Hong Kong (full disclosure regarding citizenship is required);
- are pursuing studies in disciplines listed below;
- have attained a cumulative GPA score of 3.3 or above in the first semester of the academic year 2011/2012. Non-first year students should also have attained a cumulative GPA score of 3.3 or above in the academic year 2010/2011;
- have applied for admission/have been accepted for admission to one year full-time study at one of the designated overseas universities;
- have an appropriate study plan (it is advantageous for the applicants to seek advice from their departments on what courses to take in the designated overseas institutions so that credits gained overseas could be transferred to their studies in the University);
- have a minimum total TOEFL score of 90 (Internet-based test) with scores for individual sections not lower than 22 on listening, 17 on writing, 21 on reading, and 21 on speaking; or a minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5, with no component below 6.0. These are irrespective of overseas universities’ requirements. Please note that the English proficiency tests must be taken on 12 February 2008 or later. If unavailable by the application deadline below, test results can be submitted to the Office of Student Affairs on or before 1 February 2012 (Tuesday);
- are well-rounded, participating in extra-curricular and/or community service activities;
- have no extensive experience of living or studying overseas;
- are in a financial situation which does not permit overseas study or extensive travel overseas; and
- are committed to Hong Kong
- Scholarship recipients are expected to return to their home universities in Hong Kong after their year overseas to complete their degree in Hong Kong; otherwise, they have to reimburse the full cost of scholarship.
- Scholarships will not be awarded to students who enroll in an overseas study course of less than a year or, arranged by the home university or other organisations, for which financial support for the year abroad is already available either through home university or other sources.
- As scholarships will be awarded only to candidates who fulfill all the selection criteria and selected by the HSBC panel, please note that there is no guarantee that candidate(s) nominated by their home university will be awarded.
Undergraduate (non-final year) Hong Kong permanent residents with right of abode in Hong Kong
Any one of the designated top overseas universities (please check the list of overseas universities available).
NOTE: It is definitely a precious opportunity to experience different cultures, meet new friends and further broaden your global perspectives with substantial support from HSBC.
Fields of study
To enable students to have more exposure in their fields of study, applicants will have the flexibility to major in different disciplines other than the one the applicant is currently studying, while abroad. The majoring discipline, however, will have to be listed in the approved disciplines list by HSBC as below:
All disciplines under architecture, business and economics, communication, computer science/information systems, construction and land use, dentistry, design, education, engineering, health care, hotel and tourism, law, medicine, science (basic and applied), social sciences, textiles, and arts subjects (linguistics and languages, translation, history, geography, fine arts and applied arts) and environment.
Full scholarships will be awarded to students to spend one year (2012/2013) studying at one of the designed top overseas universities
The maximum recommended scholarship amount for each scholar will only go towards:
- tuition fees and mandatory college fees,
- a minimum economy return airfare, and
- reasonable room and board costs, books, a small portion of living expenses and visa application fees.
Method of Application
Applicants should obtain and send completed Application Form together with copies of all relevant supporting documents (including HKID, HKCEE, HKALE & TOEFL/IELTS results, academic transcripts with grades of Semester 1 of 2011/12, certificates/awards for participation in extra-curricular activities and community services, and letters of appointment/reference letters for work experience, if any) to the Office of Student Affairs, or Office of International Student Exchange, or equivalent offices in their home university for consideration and nomination.
Below are some examples:
A) University of Hong Kong (HKU): All of the following documents should reach the Office of International Student Exchange (Global Lounge, G./F, Fong Shu Chuen Amenities Centre, HKU) no later than 5:00pm on the deadline date below. LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Completed Recommendation
- Completed Undertaking form
- Completed PF Summary with all reference documents (you may find the necessary expenditure on the institution's website)
- A copy of print-out of your portal's grade page showing your latest cumulative GPA at HKU. First year students should submit your A-level public exam results proof or equivalent qualifications and the GPA of semester 1, 2011/2012 after announcement.
- An original copy / a certified true copy of your TOEFL or IELTS test report (test must be dated 12 Feb 2009 or later) If you cannot provide such document by the application deadline (11 January, 2012), you must still provide it at the interview (early Feb 2011) should you be shortlisted to attend it. Please register for sitting a TOEFL or IELTS test as soon as possible.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to attend an interview(s)
Please note that applicants will need to apply to the overseas universities directly for admission in 2012-2013. You are strongly recommended to do so as soon as possible. Please check carefully relevant application deadlines of the overseas universities. The HSBC Scholarships will not be offered to students who fail to gain admission to the overseas universities
Recipients of the Scholarship will also need to apply for leave of absence with their faculties AFTER they are formally accepted by the overseas university.
Scholarship Application Deadline: 5pm, 15th January (annually)
Scholarship Open to International students: Yes(ONLY those with right of abode in HK)
Resource: HSBC Oversea Scholarship Scheme at the HKU
More Scholarship Information and Application