Course(s) Offered: Several disciplines
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: British Government
Country to Study in: UK
Chevening Scholarships in Nigeria are for talented people who have been identified as potential future leaders, decision makers and opinion formers. It is awarded to outstanding emerging leaders to pursue a one-year Master's degree programme at any UK university.
Do you have the potential to be a future leader and a desire to study in the UK? A Chevening award offers financial support along with the opportunity of becoming part of the highly regarded and influential Chevening global network. If you would like to enhance your leadership skills and become part of the growing Chevening network, please see the information below to apply.
Applications for the 2017-2018 Chevening Scholarships in Nigeria are now open and will close on the deadline stated below.
There are no age restrictions for Chevening Scholarships. To qualify for a Chevening Scholarship, you must:
- demonstrate that you have achieved a minimum English language requirement at the time that you submit your application
- be a citizen of Nigeria (a Chevening-eligible country) at the time of applying for the award, and intend to return there at the end of the period of study
- hold a degree that is equivalent to at least a UK upper second-class honours degree. Further information on UK degree equivalency can be found from UK NARIC
- have completed at least two years' work or equivalent experience
Chevening Scholarships are for high-calibre graduates with the personal, intellectual and interpersonal qualities necessary for leadership. You will need to demonstrate that you:
- have the personal, intellectual and interpersonal qualities necessary for leadership in your home country
- are motivated to develop your career in order to establish a position of leadership in your own country within ten years of your Scholarship
- have a clear post-Scholarship plan, outlining your career objectives and how you plan to achieve them
- are committed to networking to find global solutions
- are committed to networking within the Chevening community, via online engagement and attending Chevening events in the UK and engaging with the alumni network in your home country
- are able to use your studies and experience in the UK to benefit yourself, your country and the UK
- are capable of successfully undertaking and completing your proposed course of study in the UK
Citizens of ALL Commonwealth countries; however, information on this page is for Nigerian applicants ONLY
Leading universities in the United Kingdom
Field(s) of Study
Applicants from Nigeria can choose any course of study at any UK higher education institution, however when selecting your field of study please refer to the UK priorities in Nigeria.
In the recent past years, Chevening particularly welcomed Nigerian applicants with a background or academic interest in the following fields: Security, Counter Terrorism, Prosperity – Business and key Government departments, Administration / Governance, Human Rights and Development.
A Chevening award in Nigeria includes:
- university tuition fees (Chevening applies a tuition fee cap of £18,000 to MBA programmes. Applicants will be expected to cover the remaining costs above the £18,000 cap)
- a monthly stipend
- travel costs to and from the UK
- an arrival allowance
- homeward departure allowance
- the cost of one visa application
- a travel grant to attend Chevening events in the UK
Applications for Chevening Scholarships can only be submitted using the Chevening online application system, available through the 'apply' button on the official application page. Prior to starting your application for a Chevening Scholarship please ensure you have the following ready:
- Essential: Three different UK master's course choices
- Optional: English language test results (if you've already met the requirements)
- Optional: UK master's university offer (if you've already met the requirements)
It is recommended that you read the guidance on the official webpage (link to it is below) to help you submit an eligible application.
Applications for 2017/2018 Chevening Scholarships are open between 12:00 GMT on 8 August 2016 and 12:00 BST on 8 November 2016 (both midday UK time). The deadline is 12:00 GMT (midday UK time) on 8 November 2016.
The Chevening Scholarship Programme is a prestigious financial aid awards scheme that funds international postgraduate students who want to study in the UK for one academic year. Chevening Scholarships not only offer financial support to study for a Master’s degree at the UK’s leading universities, but the opportunity to become part of an influential and highly regarded global network. It aims to attract talented professionals who are potential future leaders, decision-makers and opinion formers.
Application Deadline: 8 November 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: British Chevening Scholarships for ALL Commonwealth Countries