Study Subjects: Several disciplines
Scholarship Level: Postgraduate (masters, PhD)
Scholarship Provider: British Government
Scholarships can be taken at: UK
The Chevening Scholarship Programme is a prestigious financial aid awards scheme that funds international postgraduate students who want to study in the UK for one academic year.
Chevening Scholarships not only offer financial support to study for a Master’s degree at the UK’s leading universities, but the opportunity to become part of an influential and highly regarded global network.
Chevening Scholarships in Nigeria are for talented people who have been identified as potential future leaders, decision makers and opinion formers.
Do you have the potential to be a future leader and a desire to study in the UK? If you would like to enhance your leadership skills and become part of the growing Chevening network, please see the information below to apply.
Chevening Scholarships are for high-calibre graduates with the personal, intellectual and interpersonal qualities necessary for leadership. You will need to demonstrate that you:
- have the personal, intellectual and interpersonal qualities necessary for leadership in your home country
- are motivated to develop your career in order to establish a position of leadership in your own country within ten years of your Scholarship
- have a clear post-Scholarship plan, outlining your career objectives and how you plan to achieve them
- are committed to networking to find global solutions
- are committed to networking within the Chevening community, via online engagement and attending Chevening events in the UK and engaging with the alumni network in your home country
- are able to use your studies and experience in the UK to benefit yourself, your country and the UK
- are capable of successfully undertaking and completing your proposed course of study in the UK
There are no age restrictions for Chevening Scholarships. To qualify for a Chevening Scholarship, you must:
- demonstrate that you have achieved a minimum English language requirement (set out below) at the time that you submit your application
- be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country at the time of applying for the award, and intend to return there at the end of the period of study
- hold a degree that is equivalent to at least a good UK second-class honours degree. Further information on UK degree equivalency can be found from UK NARIC
- have completed at least two years' work or equivalent experience by 30 September 2012
The scholarship is available for postgraduate students from all Commonwealth countries; however, information on this page is for Nigerian applicants ONLY
Field(s) of Study
Chevening accepts applications from a wide range of subject areas, however they particularly welcome applicants with a background or academic interest in the following fields:
- Human rights
- Tackling corruption
- Energy security
- International crime
A full Chevening Scholarship award normally comprises:
- payment of tuition fees;
- travel to and from your country of residence by an approved route for you only;
- an arrival allowance;
- a grant for the cost of preparation of a thesis or dissertation (if required);
- an excess baggage allowance;
- the cost of an entry clearance (visa) application for you only;
- a monthly personal living allowance (stipend) to cover accommodation and living expenses. The monthly stipend will depend on whether you are studying inside or outside London. It is currently £917 per month outside London and £1134 per month inside London (subject to annual review).
- Read the guidance for 2013/14 applicants and the general information about applying for a Chevening Scholarship.
- Please note that there are new English language requirements for 2013/14 applicants and you MUST have a valid English language certificate BEFORE applying for a Chevening Scholarship. If you do not have an existing eligible test certificate you should book an English language test NOW.
- Applicants who have been awarded a Bachelor’s degree or higher in one of the following countries are exempt from submitting an English Language test:
Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Singapore, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the UK, and the United States of America.
- Further details on how to apply for a Chevening Scholarship are available on the apply page.
The closing date for 2013/14 Chevening Scholarships in Nigeria is 14 December 2012.
Scholarship Application Deadline: 14 December, 2012
Scholarship Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: British Chevening Scholarships for Commonwealth Country Students
Was above article useful? Please share: