British Chevening Scholarships
Couse Offered: Several disciplines
Course Level: Graduate (masters)
Provider: FCO plus various oversea sponsors
Country to Study in: UK
The Chevening Scholarship Programme makes awards to talented individuals who demonstrate the potential to become future leaders, decision makers and opinion formers. The awards enable Scholars to study a one-year postgraduate Master’s course in any discipline at any UK university.
Chevening Scholarships are funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, with further contributions from universities and other partners in the UK and overseas, including governmental and private sector bodies.
Applications for the 2016-2017 Chevening Scholarships, the prestigious global scholarship program of the UK government, opens on 3rd August 2015.
|The British Flag|
To be eligible for a Chevening Scholarship you must:
- Be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country.
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your scholarship has ended
- Have an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry to a post-graduate programme at a UK university. This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK
- Have at least two years’ work experience
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and have received an unconditional offer from one of these choices by 14 July 2016
- Meet the Chevening English language requirement by 14 July 2016
Citizens of Chevening-eligible countries. Please see complete list of eligible countries on the official website (link to it is below)
All universities and academic Institutions across the UK.
See Education UK website for further education information for international students from choosing the right course for you, how to apply and immigration advice, right through to your arrival and life in the UK.
Field of study
Awarded across a wide range of fields of study. See your country page on official website for priority areas
Number of awards
With the recent expansion of the scheme Chevening is pleased to be able to offer more than 1500 scholarships globally.
Chevening Scholars come from over 116 countries worldwide (excluding the USA and the EU).
Normally for a one year masters degree programme
Provides full or part funding for full-time courses at postgraduate level at any UK university. Partial scholarships may cover tuition only or allowances only.
A full Chevening Scholarship award normally comprises:
- payment of tuition fees;
- travel to and from your country of residence by an approved route for you only;
- an arrival allowance;
- a grant for the cost of preparation of a thesis or dissertation (if required);
- an excess baggage allowance;
- the cost of an entry clearance (visa) application for you only;
- a monthly personal living allowance (stipend) to cover accommodation and living expenses. The monthly stipend will depend on whether you are studying inside or outside London. It is subject to annual review.
To apply for a Chevening Scholarship, you must complete and submit an online eChevening application form.
You must also demonstrate you have achieved a minimum level of English language ability at the time of application (unless you fall into one of the exemption categories or if there are no English language test centres in your country and special arrangements therefore apply).
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply. Dont forget to see the Guidelines for Applicants before applying.
Applications for the 2016-2017 Chevening Scholarships opens on August 3.
For the 2016/17 academic year, applications will close on 3 November 2015, 23:59 GMT. However, visit the country list on the official website, select your country from the list on that website for specific instructions.
Chevening recommends that you submit your application as early as possible – preferably well before the closing date for your country.
You must set out clearly in your Personal Statement on the application form how you believe you meet the Chevening selection criteria
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Chevening Scholarship programme was established in 1983 and is now an internationally prestigious scheme with over 42,000 alumni. The over 42,000 Chevening alumni around the world together comprise an influential and highly regarded global network.
Application Deadline: 3 November 2015
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in the UK for International Students