Program(s) Offered: Essay writing
Program Level: Undergraduate contest
Country to Write in: Nigeria
The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation is pleased to announce the second edition of its Annual Scholarship Essay Competition, which is aimed at harnessing young minds on issues of vital importance to development.
Every year the Nigeria Higher Education Foundation runs a Scholarship Essay Competition for students to win free tuition including cash prizes of ₦100,000, ₦75,000 and ₦50,000.
The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation held its inaugural essay competition in February 2015. The entries for the NHEF Annual Scholarship Essay Competition offer a diverse range of views from students at NHEF partner universities.
All students enrolled in their penultimate year at any NHEF Partner University are qualified to participate in the essay contest.
(*Students enrolled in their penultimate year are third year undergraduates of a 4-year degree program or Fourth year undergraduates of a 5-year degree program. NHEF will verify enrollment of each contestant with the university registrar.)
SUBMISSION ESSAY CRITERIA & PROCEDURE
All essays must comply with the following contest rules before submission:
- No literary form other than an essay will be accepted.
- Each piece of writing must reflect the contestant’s ability to explore and discuss ideas and ethical concepts.
- Essay must demonstrate the conduct of research and a sufficiently detailed summary.
- Essays must be 2000 words in length, double-spaced, (12pt Times New Roman), and numbered pages with one-inch margins excluding bibliography & title page.
- Each essay must include a Title Page, a Bibliography and a scanned copy of the contestant’s current student ID. The student’s registration ID# must appear at the header section of each page
- Entries must be submitted in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
- References in the essay should be included and clearly identified.
Citizens of Nigeria
Currently, NHEF Partner Universities include:
- Ahmadu Bello University,
- Bayero University,
- University of Ibadan,
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka and
- University of Port Harcourt.
Please choose any one of the following to write on:
- “The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the dead”-Aristotle. Discuss the validity of this statement.
- Explore the relationship between a developed higher education sector and long-term economic growth?
- What is the role/function of innovation versus tradition in Nigeria’s development?
Three (3) winners will emerge from this contest
The Grand prize winner of the 2016 Essay Competition will be awarded a cash prize of ₦100,000 with a year of paid tuition.
First runner-up will be awarded a cash prize of ₦75,000 with a year of paid tuition.
Second runner-up will be awarded ₦50,000 with a year of paid tuition.
Method of Application
All applicants must be eligible to participate and all essays must comply with stipulated contest rules before submission (please see the eligibility criteria above). All essay entries must be submitted via e-mail to essay[at]thenhef.org on or before the deadline date below .
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this contest
Competitions open for submission starting February 8th 2016. All entries must be submitted via e-mail on or before 11:59 p.m. (WAT) on March 31st, 2016
Enrolment will be verified with the University’s registrar.
The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation, NHEF, was established in 2004 with seed funding from the MacArthur Foundation, and its work consists of: Supporting higher education in Nigeria; AND Supporting universities in Nigeria.
Submitted essays will become the property of the NHEF. The NHEF may reprint the essays in its mediums and publications. Appropriate citations will be given to all the writers.
Application Deadline: 31 March 2016
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Nigerians)
More Scholarship Information and Application(current 2016 call)
More Scholarship Information and Application(home page)
Related: Essay Writing Contest Scholarships for Students