Course(s) Offered: Selected fields
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Country to Study in: Tanzania
The University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania in collaboration with The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is pleased to announce postgraduate (Master and PhD) scholarship opportunities to all Tanzanians and Citizen of Sub-Saharan Africa in the study fields listed below.
In addition to the specific application requirements of the study programme/course you are applying for (which are found in the Postgraduate Prospectus in the UDSM website), please note the following application requirements:
- The last university degree must have been completed less than six years before the time of application.
- Citizenship of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Bachelor and Master’s degree qualification with above average results.
- Proof of admission to the desired degree course or official letter assuring admission.
- For PhD scholarships, the applicants must be a staff member of a public or private university (or candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment).
- Applicants must submit the DAAD Application Form and DAAD Information Sheet for Students.
Female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with physical challenges are especially encouraged to apply.
Citizens of ALL Sub-Saharan African countries
The Study will be conducted at the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Fields of study
The eligible courses of study are:
- Food and Nutrition Security
- Immigration and Refugee Law
- Strategic and Peace Study
- Climate Change and Sustainable Development
It has been agreed upon that DAAD collaborates with University of Dar Es Salaam by offering:
- Up to 7 Master Scholarships for this year’s intake
- Up to 5 PhD Scholarships for this year’s intake
The awards are available for up to a maximum of two years (Master) and three years (Ph.D.) respectively.
The scholarship is initially granted for one year and may be extended upon individual request and receipt of a complete application by using a form to be availed at the appropriate time in the DAAD Portal. The application for renewal has to be submitted at least one month before the scholarship period expires.
DAAD will pay tuition fees to the university according to the submitted fees structure and a monthly stipend to the scholarship holder, covering cost of living including accommodation. DAAD rates will apply for the monthly stipend, current rates can be communicated upon request. Later increments of any fees and charges cannot be considered.
In addition, the scholarship holder will receive an annual study and research allowance. This allowance is intended to cover any costs related to the student’s research project. The annual study and research allowance is paid in local currency and is equivalent to the amount of EUR 230.00 for Master’s scholarship holders and EUR 920.00 for Ph.D. scholarship holders. Within the final year of studies, DAAD pays a lump sum of EUR 1,025.00 to the scholarship holder (in local currency). This final allowance is granted to cover the thesis production costs in the last year of the course of studies (i.e. second year for Master students, third year for Ph.D. students).
Please note that a DAAD scholarship is not a full scholarship. DAAD will only provide funding as stated above. It is not possible to apply for additional funding (e.g. laboratory, field work, conferences, technical equipment, books, travel, etc.)
Method of Application
To apply, you need to read through the application guidelines and fill in the application forms. The Application guidelines and forms can be downloaded here:
- DAAD Postgraduate Scholarship Opportunities. Click Here
- DAAD Guidelines for In-Country/In-Region Scholarships, Eastern Africa – 2016/17; Download Here
- DAAD Application Form for In-Country/In-Region Scholarships, Eastern Africa –2016/17; Download Here
- DAAD_Information Sheet for Scholars_In-Country / In-Region, Download Here
University of Dar es Salaam
Directorate of Postgraduate Studies
P.O. Box 35091, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Phone: +255-22-2410500-9 Ext: 2010
Fax: Fax: +255-22-2410078
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on applying to this scholarship award.
The application deadline to the University of Dar es Salaam is 5th March 2016
For further information please contact the Directorate of Postgraduate Studies.
DAAD, as a publicly funded, self-governing organisation of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programmes.
The objective of this support programme is to promote the postgraduate training programme at Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College.
Application Deadline: 5 March 2016
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Africa for International Students