Contest Offered: Innovation, Idea
Contest Level: Undergraduate, Postgraduate
Country to Study in: Worldwide (and France)
Valeo has launched the 3rd edition of its contest, the "Valeo Innovation Challenge 2016", which offers students from around the world the opportunity to become players in automotive innovation. You may see the previous 2015 edition here.
Valeo is offering young students worldwide the opportunity to make the car of 2030 and the way it's used more intelligent, intuitive, green and fun. Comprising teams of two to five people, students from any discipline can take part by presenting a relevant, innovative project in English. The aim is to stimulate the students’ creativity, enabling them to form multidisciplinary teams.
You must not have a scientific or technical qualification. The only condition is that you are a student and are a part of a University or Technical, or Scientific School when you register.
The contest is open to students worldwide who have completed their high school education, with one entry per person (same name and same e-mail address). Contestants must be able to travel outside their country of residence and possess, by October 2016, a passport that is still valid for six months after the date scheduled for the prize giving (October 2016).
The following people may not enter the contest:
- employees of the organizer, of any company that it controls, that controls it or that is under joint, control with it, and their children,
- people who have been involved in organizing the contest, and their children,
- people who have a conflict of interest (especially interns and apprentices still working for the company).
Entrants must compete in teams made up of between two and a maximum of five people. The constitution of the team shall only be considered definitive on completion of the registration phase. During this phase (From 29 September 2015 to 31 January 2016) it will be possible to change the members of the team as well as the project. Once this phase has been completed, no more changes will be accepted. If however a member decides to leave the team after this phase, the team cannot remain in the running if it has fewer than two members.
Citizens of ALL countries worldwide
Fields of contest
The aim of the contest is to reward an innovative automobile-related project (technological innovation or idea for new ways of using cars) that is the product of students' imagination worldwide.
The 24 teams selected on completion of phase 1 shall each be provided with an amount of five thousand euros (€5,000) for the purpose of putting their idea into practice and creating a functioning proof of concept (physical software, app, business model, websites, etc.).
A first prize of €100,000 will be awarded on completion of the contest in each of the following categories:
- The innovation prize for the best technological innovation
- The idea prize for new ways of using the car
Method of Application
Documents relating to the contest and the on-line entry information are available on the designated site. To enter the contest, complete the on-line form on the designated official site (link to it is below).
The project form is accessible only after at least two members have been officially confirmed (acceptation of the team leader’s e-mail invitation and Rules’ Conditions). An invitation from the team leader goes to the teammate email address and he/she should accept it. Once this is done, the page "My Project" is now available to complete your project submission.
The projects submitted must meet the following criteria and technical constraints:
- Documents must be drafted in English
- Phase 1 - Presentation of the project (5 pages maximum) with illustrations authorizes (photos, diagrams).
- Bold, innovative and original idea of the project (50%)
- Challenges and relevance of the problem dealt with and factoring in of society’s expectations (20%)
- Knowledge of technical / related matters (10%)
- Feasibility of the demonstration model (10%)
- Quality of presentation (10%)
Expected content in your project submission:
- "An abstract of your project is expected before anything.
Take a good care of it because our first selection filters will be focused on this abstract.
20 and 30 lines max fully autonomous. No pictures / graphs, acronyms or reference to proposal's chapters are allowed in this field."
- "What is the problem or situation to improve?"
- "What is/are the current solution(s), if any?"
- "What is your solution?"
- "What type of demonstration are you considering and how do you plan to build it?"
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information for your application.
The submission period is September 29, 2015 - January 31, 2016. The deadline for submission of all project descriptions is 12 noon CET on January 31, 2016.
The Valeo Innovation Challenge is part of Valeo’s innovation strategy, supported by the company’s annual Research and Development budget of over €1 billion.
Application Deadline: 31 January 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in France for International Students