Course(s) Offered: Sustainable energy development
Course Level: Essay-writing contest
Provider: Nigeria Energy Forum
Country to Study in: Nigeria
The Nigeria Energy Forum is delighted to invite young professionals to make submissions for the 2016 Africa Energy Essay Contest.
The essay contest will take the form of a letter written to the UN Secretary General, highlighting the challenges and opportunities for sustainable energy development in Africa.
The contest follows the UN’s declaration of the decade 2014-2024 as the ‘Decade of Sustainable Energy for All’.
The contest is open to all young professionals with an interest in the area of sustainable energy. We define young professionals as anyone under the age of 35.
FORMATTING AND STYLE:
- The essay must be written in English and not be longer than 1 page of an A4 paper
- The essay cannot mention participant’s name or the name of their organisation to ensure anonymity during review. However, contact details must be provided during submission.
All eligible entries will be reviewed by an international expert panel. The entries will be assessed based on participant’s originality, clarity and novelty in solving Africa’s energy challenge.
Citizens of ALL countries may participate
Any organization is free to join
Fields of study
2016 Essay Topic:
“How can Africa achieve sustainable and affordable supply of energy for all by 2030?”
Number of awards
Several participants will be honored - the top three entrants will receive prizes, while top ten essays would be published on the NEF website to the world
The NEF Forum will be held over a two-day period (April 12-13, 2016) at the Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria
The winners of the essay contest will receive commendation certificates and prizes, including a unique opportunity to discuss their innovative approach to solving Africa’s energy challenge at the Nigeria Energy Forum, to be held at the Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria from April 12-13, 2016.
Prizes will include:
- First Prize: iPad mini, ₦ 60,000 ($300) gift voucher, certificate of excellence and opportunity to speak at the Africa Energy Dinner on April 12, 2016.
- Second Prize : ₦ 40,000 ($200) gift voucher, certificate of excellence and opportunity to speak at the Africa Energy Dinner.
- Third Prize : ₦ 20,000 ($100) gift voucher, certificate of excellence and opportunity to attend the energy dinner.
- All shortlisted entrants will be profiled at the Nigeria Energy Forum and the top 10 essays will be published on the forum website.
Essay Submission Guidelines:
- Young professionals should submit their essays as an email attachment in Word Document or PDF form, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The subject line of the email should read, ‘Africa Energy Essay Contest’.
- All essays must be received by 11:59 PM GMT on the deadline announced date below.
- Please name the file as: First & Last Name_Organisation (e.g. John Appiah_University of Accra)
- Essays must include a cover page with the contestant’s full name, address, phone number and email address.
All essays must be received by 11:59 PM GMT, January 29, 2016.
Winners will be announced via the forum website on March 20, 2016.
The 2016 Nigeria Energy Forum (NEF 2016) is the high level forum for key stakeholders in the national and international energy community to meet, initiate business discussions and influence the development of the energy sector in Nigeria and other African countries.
The NEF 2016 aims to i). Facilitate increased energy access, ii). Strengthen energy capacity building initiatives, and iii). Attract direct foreign investment to the energy sector.
For further information about the essay contest, please contact email@example.com.
Application Deadline: 29 January 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Contests for International Students