Course(s) Offered: Computer Science
Course Level: Professional development
Provider: Google Inc.
Country to Study in: Africa, Australia/New Zealand, US, Canada, China, Europe, Middle East
Developing Computer Science educators globally for today’s 21st century students!
Computer Science for High School (CS4HS) is an annual funding program to improve the computer science (CS) educational ecosystem by providing funding for the continuation of CS teacher professional development worldwide.
Driven by local needs, CS4HS funding brings educators together for a professional development opportunity with the goals of invigorating them about computer science and computational thinking, while providing tools and networking opportunities to help educators in the CS classroom.
To apply for a CS4HS award you must meet the following requirements:
- Your professional development opportunity must include a plan for year-round communities of practice work that supports ongoing PD and advocacy for Computer Science.
- Affiliated with a university, technical college or an official non-profit organization.
- Project must develop high school teachers or student’s understanding of computer science and contain computer science content that will be relevant in the classroom.
- Project must be in the form of either a teacher training workshop or teacher and student training workshops, an online course (MOOC) or a teacher resource project.
- Previous applicants are welcome to apply, if adding a new dimension to former projects or launching a new computer science project.
- Project contains computer science content.
- Project creates new materials that can be brought directly back to the classroom or used elsewhere by anyone (open source).
- Project has regional reach with the potential to scale nationally/internationally.
- There is careful budget consideration and a clear breakdown of how the funding will be used.
- Project provides a hands-on experience and includes activities for participants that are interactive and allows them to manipulate the subject themselves.
- There is follow up activity and continued learning for the target audience.
- How you will develop and/or support a Community of Practice
Regions include Africa, Australia/New Zealand, US, Canada, China, Europe and Middle East
Educational institutions in the eligible regions
Fields of study
Computer science and computational thinking teachers' professional development
For AFRICA, institutions may receive support of up to $15,000 each. Additional funding is available for projects with regional reach and the potential to scale nationally. This can be through MOOCs or collaborating with other organisations.
Institutions in Australia and New Zealand may receive support of up to $15,000 each.
Institutions in Canada may receive support of up to $35,000 each.
Institutions in China may receive support of up to $12,000 each.
Institutions in Europe may receive support of up to $15,000 each. Additional funding is available for projects with regional reach and the potential to scale nationally. This can be through MOOCs or collaborating with other organisations. For funded projects, we appreciate receiving news about your project so we can measure the impact of this program.
Institutions in the Middle East may receive support of up to $15,000 each. Additional funding is available for projects with regional reach and the potential to scale nationally. This can be through MOOCs or collaborating with other organisations.
Institutions in the US may receive support of up to $35,000 each. A MINIMUM of 10% of your funding must be allocated to year round communities of practice work. Additional funding is possible for programs that conduct academic research on their workshops.
Method of Application
To apply for a CS4HS award, you will need to complete the application form with information about you and the project. Please read the FAQs and make sure you meet the eligibility requirements before applying.
Deadlines for all regions is between January to March 2016. Please see official website for specific deadlines dates for all regions.
The deadline for AFRICA REGION to apply for funding is midnight (GMT), 15 February 2016.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Computer Science for High School (CS4HS) provides funding to computer science education experts for the planning and development of CS teacher professional development.
Application Deadline: 15 February 2016 (AFRICA region)
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Africa for International Students