Course(s) Offered: Business, Social sciences, Leadership skills
Course Level: Training, Graduate (masters)
Provider: Tsinghua University
Country to Study in: China
Designed to prepare the next generation of global leaders, Schwarzman Scholars is the first scholarship created to respond to the geopolitical landscape of the 21st Century.
Enrolling the inaugural class in 2016, the program will give the world’s best and brightest students the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and professional networks through a one-year Master’s Degree at Tsinghua University in Beijing – one of China’s most prestigious universities.
With a $350 million endowment, Schwarzman Scholars will be the single largest philanthropic effort ever undertaken in China by largely international donors. The extraordinary students selected to become Schwarzman Scholars will receive a comprehensive scholarship.
The following criteria must be met by all applicants:
- Undergraduate degree or first degree from an accredited college or university or its equivalent. Applicants who are currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs must be on track to successfully complete all degree requirements before orientation begins in 1 August 2018. There are no requirements for a specific field of undergraduate study; all fields are welcome, but it will be important for applicants, regardless of undergraduate major, to articulate how participating in Schwarzman Scholars will help develop their leadership potential within their field.
- Age. Applicants must be at least 18 but not yet 29 years of age as of 1 August 2018
- Citizenship. There are no citizenship or nationality requirements
- English language proficiency. Applicants must demonstrate strong English Language skills, as all teaching will be conducted in English. If the applicant’s native language is not English, official English proficiency test scores must be submitted with the application. Acceptable test options are:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT)
- Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Citizens of ALL countries
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China -- (students live and study together on the campus of Schwarzman College, a newly-built, state-of-the-art facility, where all classes will be taught in English.)
Fields of study
Masters degree programmes in one of these three disciplines:
- Public Policy
- Economics and Business
- International Studies
Number of awards
Up to 200 exceptional men and women will be accepted into the program each year
The Schwarzman Scholars program will cover the one year period of study
Semi-finalist interview expenses, such as economy class air or train travel, group meals and one night in a hotel if needed, will be arranged and covered by the program. Expenses for successful Schwarzman Scholars are also FULLY covered by the program.
It will include Tuition and fees, Room and board, Travel to and from Beijing at the beginning and end of the academic year, An in-country study tour, Required course books and supplies, Lenovo laptop and smartphone, Health insurance, and A modest personal stipend.
Method of Application
There is no fee associated with applying to the Schwarzman Scholars program. To apply, you will need to complete and successfully submit an online application form, including all required documents and essays before the deadline date.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply to this scholarship programme.
Applications open this March and April for the 2018/2019 class of Schwarzman Scholars. There are two sets of opening and closing dates for Schwarzman Scholars applicants to accommodate different timelines for graduate school applications in China.
Applicants who hold passports from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao can apply online from 1 January to 31 May 2017. Applicants holding a passport from any other country, can apply from 17 April to 28 September 2017.
For those ready to make their mark on the world, Schwarzman Scholars represent a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Whether in politics, business or science, the success of future leaders around the world will depend upon an understanding of China’s role in global trends.
Tsinghua University (sometimes abbreviated as THU) is a research university located in Beijing, China, and one of the nine members in the C9 League. The institution was originally established in 1911 under the name "Tsinghua College" and had been renamed several times since then: from "Tsinghua School" which was used one year after its establishment, to "National Tsinghua University" which was adopted three years after the foundation of its university section in 1925.
In both domestic and international university rankings, Tsinghua University has consistently been ranked alongside Peking University as the top institution of higher learning in mainland China.
Application Deadline: 31 May / 28 September 2017
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships in China for International Students