Course(s) Offered: Several fields
Course Level: Undergraduate (bachelors), Graduate (masters)
Provider: University of Oulu
Country to Study in: Finland
Traditionally, the University of Oulu does not charge tuition fees from international degree students starting their studies in the Autumn Semester.
Starting in autumn 2016, however, the University of Oulu will begin to collect Application Fees for the first time from students who are applying based on a qualification completed outside the EU/EEA-area. The application fee concerns applicants to Bachelor's and Master's level studies.
These tuition free scholarships are primarily for Masters students. In addition, some individual Master’s programmes have their own scholarship schemes (e.g. Protein Science masters scholarships).
Each course programme has its own specific admissions requirements. Before you start filling out the application form, make sure that you meet the requirements of the programme admissions.
The following includes the basic information on admissions requirements for Master’s courses.
- A successful applicant has obtained their first academic degree, normally a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, from an institution of higher education.
- Students who are on their last term/semester of Bachelor’s studies can apply to study for a Master’s degree. Applicants with excellent academic records can be offered a conditional study placement.
- All applicants are required to prove a high level of proficiency in English language. All programmes ask the applicant to submit documented evidence of their level of English. The approved documentation of English language proficiency include TOEFL, IELTS, PTE and the likes. Click here to learn more.
- Applicants are asked to submit documentation on their academic excellence, for example in the form of academic recommendation letters. Also other documents relating to the field of study are required.
Citizens of ALL countries may apply
University of Oulu, Oulu; Finland
Fields of study
The University of Oulu, Finland provide tuition free scholarships to academically talented international students in architecture, business, economics, education, engineering, and sciences.
Available masters courses include:
- Architectural Design
- Astronomy and Space Physics
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Vision and Signal Processing
- Environmental Engineering
- Ecology and Population Genetics
- Economic Geology
- Education and Globalisation
- Financial and Management Accounting
- International Business
- Learning, Education and Technology
- Magnetic Resonance in Materials
- Protein Science and Biotechnology
- Software, Systems and Services Development in Global Environment
- Synchrotron Radiation Based Science and Accelerator Physics
- Wireless Communications Engineering
Number of awards
All international degree students accepted into the university are not charged any tuition fee. However, starting in the Autumn Semester 2016, Bachelors and Masters students will be charged an Application Fee. In 2013 the University offered up to 330 tuition free scholarships to international Students.
All sponsorships will last one or two years. The scholarship is primarily aimed at students studying for a Master’s degree in the University of Oulu two-year international Master’s programmes.
This is a full tuition free scholarship. All tuition is waived.
Method of Application
Applicants to Finnish higher education institutions (polytechnics/Universities of Applied Sciences (UAS) and universities) who are applying based on a qualification completed outside the EU/EEA-area will be required to pay an application fee of 100 €.
The application fee concerns applicants to Bachelor's and Master's level studies. Application fees will be collected for the first time when applying for studies beginning in autumn 2016.
University of Oulu partners with the University Admissions Finland for their services for the application system and the pre-processing of application documents. It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) and the how to apply page for complete details on this full tuition free scholarship.
The next available application period is for academic year 2016 – 17. The next available application period is 15 December 2015 – 29 January 2016 (15.00 GMT+2) and is for studies starting in September 2016.
Please note that there is only one application period per year.
All printed applications and the required documents have to arrive by the deadline, late applications are not considered applications.
The University of Oulu is one of the largest universities in Finland, located in the city of Oulu. It was founded on July 8, 1958. Along with the University of Turku, it is ranked in the Academic Ranking of World Universities as the second best university in Finland and between 303 and 401 worldwide.
Application Deadline: 29 January 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships in Finland for International Students