Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS)
Course(s) Offered: All fields
Course Level: Undergraduate, Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: Beijing Municipal Government
Country to Study in: Beijing, China
The Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) was established by the Beijing Municipal Government, aiming to provide tuition fees fully or partially to international students studying or applying for study in Beijing, China.
For the current academic session, the Beijing Government is offering scholarships to international and developing country students applying to study for Undergraduate, Master’s and Doctoral degrees.
To be eligible for this award, the following must apply:
- Applicants must be non-Chinese nationals in good health.
- Educational background and age limit:
- Applicants for undergraduate studies in Beijing must have completed senior high school with good grades and be under the age of 30. Applicants for Masters degree studies in Beijing must have Bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35. Applicants for Doctoral degree studies in Beijing must have Master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Applicants for advanced studies must have an undergraduate degree or be in the second year of a university course and be under the age of 50. Applicants for long term language study must have a high school diploma and be under the age of 60.
- Visiting scholar candidates in Beijing must have a Masters or higher degree or hold academic titles of associate professor or higher, and be under the age of 50.
- Requirement for applicant’s language proficiency:
Requirement for the applicant’s language proficiency is based on the requirement of the academic programs and determined by the individual higher learning institution.
- An applicant receiving financial support from other Chinese government scholarship programs or organizations/agencies would not be eligible for the Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students
Citizens of ALL countries worldwide (EXCEPT China); with bias for developing nations
All Chinese academic higher learning institutions (universities and colleges) in the Beijing region
Fields of study
Bachelors, masters or doctoral degree level studies in all available courses; Chinese language training or relevant advanced studies; specialized training; and exchange studentships
Number of awards
Categories of Applicants and Duration of Scholarships:
- Applicants for Bachelor, Masters and Doctoral Degrees in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region: duration of scholarship should be under 4 years.
- Applicants for Chinese language training or relevant advanced studies in Chinese universities and colleges in the Beijing region: the duration of scholarship should be under one year.
- Scholars and international students for specialized training in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region: the duration of scholarship should be under one year.
- Exchange students or students with outstanding contributions to international education in Beijing: the duration of scholarship should be under one year.
The Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students only covers tuition fees. According to the applicants’ status, the allowance for scholarship students can be classified into 5 types:
- 40,000 RMB/year for a Doctoral degree
- 30,000 RMB/year for a Masters degree
- 20,000 RMB/year/ for a Bachelor degree
- 10,000 RMB/year for a Senior training or long term language program
- 5,000 RMB/year for Exchange students or students with outstanding contributions to international education in Beijing.
All international students applying for the Beijing Government Scholarships shall normally submit relevant materials to the universities in Beijing that he/she hopes to apply to by the end of February every year.
For specific application means, you can consult the government departments and relevant institutions responsible for dispatching students abroad in your country, Chinese embassies or consulates; you can also visit the Web of Beijing Municipal Commission of Education (http://www.bjedu.gov.cn) for inquiry; or directly apply to the universities qualified to issue such scholarship in Beijing.
Therefore, applicants may submit documents to the Chinese government office in charge of sending international students to China, relevant offices in the applicants’ home country, or the Chinese diplomatic missions or embassies in the applicants’ home country;
Or, Applicants may register via the web with the Beijing Education Commission at http://www.bjedu.gov.cn;
Or, Applicants may submit documents to Chinese institutions in Beijing directly.
All application materials should be handed to the relevant university or college before the end of February every year. The deadline for submission of applications for 2016/17 academic year is February 28 2016.
The administrative office of the Beijing Government Scholarships is the International Cooperation and Exchange Office of Beijing Municipal Commission of Educations, which is in charge of project establishment, review, acceptance and daily management of the Beijing Government Scholarship Program.
Students under the Beijing Government Scholarship Program should apply for a visa to study in China. Scholarship students who will stay in China for more than 6 months need to apply for an "X" visa, while those staying less than 6 months need an "F" visa. A person with other types of passports, visas or without their original documents will not be able to register with the institution.
Application Deadline: 28 February 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in China for International Students