Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships
Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Graduate (master's)
Provider: University of Amsterdam
Country to Study in: Netherlands
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms.
In 2014, a new prestigious scholarship programme, the Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships (AES), will be launched, targeting exceptionally talented Master’s students from outside Europe.
Candidates wishing to apply for an AES programme must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a non-EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering; for more information please refer to www.DUO.nl). The scholarship office should be notified as soon as possible of any change in nationality, type of residence permit, and/or possible Studiefinanciering support throughout the academic year.
- Be (provisionally) admitted to an English-taught Master’s degree programme at the University of Amsterdam which is registered in the Central Register of Higher Education Programmes (CROHO; for more information refer to: www.DUO.nl).
For more information about general application requirements, please consult the individual programme descriptions at www.uva.nl/education for Master’s study programmes taught in English.
- Be (provisionally) admitted to a Master’s programme at the UvA for the first time. AES will not be awarded to candidates who are admitted for a second Master’s programme at the UvA.
- Be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations as indicated by the IND (Dutch Immigration Service).
- Be enrolled at the UvA as a full-time student for the academic year and the programme for which the scholarship is awarded. Scholarship continuation is not guaranteed when a candidate changes his or her Master’s programme.
- The candidate should not receive another scholarship for the same period of study as the AES. Notify the scholarships office when another scholarship has been awarded and accepted.
- the candidate’s academic records. Students belonging to the top 10% of graduates from their class can apply;
- the academic quality of the educational institute where the undergraduate (or graduate) programme has been obtained;
- at least two letters of reference from academic staff members
- the quality of the letter of motivation (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate explains the reasons for choosing the specific Master’s programme (broader context, relevance for future career);
- a description of extracurricular activities such as participation in student commissions, international experience, sports or music at a high level or volunteer work;
- proof of English proficiency (IELS/TOEFL): TOEFL (internet-based) – overall score of 100 (with a minimum score of 22 in each of the different components), IELTS (academic) – overall score of 7.0 (with at least 7.0 in each of the four components);
- the quality of the application as a whole (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
Students from any discipline belonging to the top 10% of graduates from their class may apply. Selection is on the basis of academic excellence, ambition and relevance for a student’s future career.
Citizens of ALL non-EU/EEA countries (i.e. Africa, Asia, Middle East, South America, North America, Eastern Europe and other countries)
University of Amsterdam (UvA), Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Fields of study
Selected Masters Programme offered in the the following faculties:
- Amsterdam Law School
- Faculty of Economics and Business
- Faculty of Science
- Graduate School of Communication
- Graduate School of Humanities
- Graduate School of Social Sciences
Number of awards
The number of AES to be awarded is NOT specified
Successful students receive a scholarship for the official duration of the programme they are enrolled in.
The AES will be for one academic year with the possibility of extension for a second year (for two-year Master’s programmes).
The AES is a full scholarship of €25,000 (covering tuition and living expenses).
Scholarship recipients will join extracurricular activities and become part of a select community.
Method of Application
The AES scholarships are awarded by the faculties and graduate schools themselves, so application procedures vary per faculty/school. Students interested in an Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship may contact the faculty or international school offering the study programme of their choice for more information.
You must have been provisionally admitted to an eligible Masters Degree Programme at the University of Amsterdam before you can be considered for this scholarship.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) and specific faculty websites (see 'Fields of study' above) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
The application process for the 2014-2015 academic year opened in November 2013 and the deadline for applications varies per faculty but is either 15 January 2014 or 1 February 2014.
Students interested in an AES need to contact the faculty or international school offering the study programme of their choice for more information.
The programme you wish to apply for might set extra requirements such as academic and language requirements. Please see the faculty information on respective faculty websites (see 'Fields of study' above) for more information.
Candidates must be officially accepted into a full-time degree programme at the UvA.
The candidate must not receive a full-coverage scholarship from another organisation for the same period of study as the AES scholarship and must be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations.
The University of Amsterdam or the UvA is a public university located in Amsterdam, Netherlands. The University is one of two large, publicly funded research universities in the city, the other being VU University Amsterdam.
Application Deadline: 15 January / 1 February 2014
Open for International Students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top Scholarships in the Netherlands for International Students