Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Graduate (masters)
Provider: University of Amsterdam
Country to Study in: Netherlands
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. For that reason, it has established several scholarship programmes specifically designed to offer talented and motivated international students the opportunity to pursue a degree at the UvA.
In 2014, a new prestigious scholarship programme was launched, Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship (AES), targeting exceptionally talented Master’s students from outside Europe. The AES is a full tuition scholarship for one academic year with the possibility of extension for a second year.
Eligible applicants are encouraged to apply for the Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship. Scholarship application period for the 2017/18 academic session starts November 1, 2016 until early 2017.
Candidates wishing to apply for an AES scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a non-EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under studiefinanciering, the Dutch system of study grants and loans. The scholarship office should be notified as soon as possible of any change in nationality, type of residence permit, and/or possible studiefinanciering support throughout the academic year.
- Be (provisionally) admitted to an English-taught Master’s degree programme at the University of Amsterdam which is registered in the Central Register of Higher Education Programmes (CROHO). You can apply for the Master's programme and the AES scholarship simultaneously. Your Master's application will be assessed before the AES deadline. In your application, clearly indicate that you are applying for the AES scholarship.
For more information about general application requirements, please consult the individual programme descriptions at www.uva.nl/education for Master’s study programmes taught in English.
- Be (provisionally) admitted to a Master's programme at the UvA for the first time. An AES will not be awarded to candidates who are admitted for a second Master's programme at the UvA.
- Be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations as indicated by the Dutch Immigration Service (IND).
- Be enrolled at the UvA as a full-time student for the academic year and the programme for which the scholarship is awarded. Scholarship continuation is not guaranteed when a candidate changes his or her Master’s programme.
- The candidate should not receive another scholarship for the same period of study as the AES. Notify the UvA if you have been awarded and accepted another scholarship.
Selection is on the basis of academic excellence, ambition and the relevance of the selected Master’s programme to a student’s future career.
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT the EU/EEA countries)
University of Amsterdam (UvA), Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Fields of study
Masters course programmes in all disciplines offered in faculties at UvA (Include Economics and Business, Humanities, Law, Science, Social Science)
Number of awards
The UvA will award up to 15 of these scholarships annually
Successful students receive a scholarship for the official duration of the programme they are enrolled in. The AES will be for one academic year. There is the possibility of an extension for a second year (for two-year Master’s programmes)
The AES is a full scholarship of €25,000 (covering tuition and living expenses). Scholarship recipients will join extracurricular activities and become part of a select community.
Method of Application
The AES scholarships are awarded by the faculties and graduate schools themselves, so application procedures vary per faculty/school. Applications are made through the Admissions Offices of the graduate schools. Students who meet all the requirements can apply for the AES when they apply to their chosen Master’s programme. However, please be aware that the scholarship application deadline is 15 January (or 1 February), which is earlier than the application deadline for most of the Master’s programmes.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this scholarship.
The AES scholarship application period varies per graduate school/faculty, however, in general it runs from 1 November 2016 to 15 January 2017 (or 1 February 2017 for the Schools of Humanities and Sciences).
Students interested in an AES need to contact the faculty or international school offering the study programme of their choice for more information. The programme you wish to apply for might set extra requirements such as academic and language requirements. Please see the faculty information on respective faculty websites for more information.
The candidate must not receive a full-coverage scholarship from another organisation for the same period of study as the AES scholarship and must be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations.
The University of Amsterdam or the UvA is a public university located in Amsterdam, Netherlands. The University is one of two large, publicly funded research universities in the city, the other being VU University Amsterdam.
Application Deadline: 15 January / 1 February 2017
Open for International Students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top Scholarships in the Netherlands for International Students