Course(s) Offered: All fields
Course Level: Undergraduate (secondary, bachelors), Graduate (masters, phd)
Provider: Government of Romania
Country to Study in: Romania
The Romanian State offers Scholarships to foreign citizens through its Ministry of Foreign Affairs in keeping with Government Decision No 288/1993 for the 2014-2015 academic year.
The scholarships for under- and post-graduate studies in Romania is by means of selection of application files organised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) and the Ministry of National Education (MEN), in keeping with Romanian current legislation.
The scholarships are granted for three levels of study:
- for the first cycle (licenta): This scheme is dedicated to graduates of high schools or of equivalent pre-university systems, as well as to candidates who require the equivalation of partial studies and the continuation of their studies in Romania. The complete cycle of university studies lasts for 3 to 6 years, according to the specific requirements of the chosen faculty, and ends with a final examination (licenta);
- for the 2nd cycle (master): This scheme is dedicated to graduates of university/post graduate studies; it lasts for 1,5 to 2 years and ends with a dissertation;
- for the 3rd cycle (doctorate) this scheme is dedicated to the graduates of university/postgraduate studies (i.e. master); it lasts for 3-4 years, in keeping with the specific requirements of the chosen faculty, and ends with a doctor’s thesis.
Citizens of non EU countries (irrespective of their country of residence) are eligible to apply. Priority is given to citizens from non EU states with which Romania does not have cultural and education cooperation agreements.
Mention should be made that foreign citizens of Romanian origin and those belonging to the neighbouring historic Romanian communities benefit from other scholarship programmes offered by the Romanian state.
Citizens of ANY country (EXCEPT European Union countries)
All Romanian universities are eligible
Fields of study
All courses of study offered at Romanian universities and higher education institutions.
However, priority will be given to the candidates applying for: political and administrative sciences, education studies, Romanian culture and civilization, journalism, technical studies, oil and gas, agricultural studies, veterinary medicine, architecture, arts. Requests for other fields will also be taken into account.
Language of Study: In order to promote Romanian language and culture, the Ministry of National Education has decided that the beneficiaries of the scholarships should study only in the Romanian language. The candidates who do not know Romanian are offered one supplementary preparatory year to study the language. The students who declare that they know already Romanian language have to pass a language test organised by the competent higher education institutions.
Number of awards
Eighty five (85) scholarships for under- and post-graduate studies in Romania
The monthly amount mentioned below is granted to the students of the 1st (licenta) and 2nd (master) cycle throughout the whole academic year, the winter and spring vacation included, but not during the summer vacation.
For full-time students of the 3rd cycle (doctorate), the monthly amount is granted throughout the whole calendar year.
Important for all scholarship holders (under- and post-graduate): The scholarships will be suspended if the student in any education cycle repeats a year due to poor results. It may be resumed in the following academic year, after the student has successfully graduated the repeated year. The students who repeat an academic year must pay the full study fees and accomodation. The number of scholarship years will not be bigger than the respective education cycle.
The scholarship consists of:
- free-of-charge tuition,
- free-of-charge accommodation (depending on availability, accommodation will be offered free-of-charge in students hostels, in keeping with the higher education regulations),
- financial support - a monthly amount representing :
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 65 EURO per month, for the under-graduate students (1st cycle),
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 75 EURO per month, for post-graduate students (master degrees and specialization) 2nd cycle,
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 85 EURO per month, for post graduate students (doctor’s degree) 3rd cycle.
Method of Application
To get all necessary information about the scholarships (conditions, necessary documents, enrolment calendar) and to submit their application files, the candidates should apply directly to :
- the Romanian diplomatic missions accredited to the candidate’s country of origin or of residence; or to
- the diplomatic mission of candidate’s state of origin accredited to Bucharest
In addition to applying direct to the Romanian diplomatic missions, it is also very important to visit the official website of the Romanian Government through the link below for the 'List of documents necessary for the application file'; 'Compulsory Steps after Acceptance' AND other information.
The deadline for submitting the application files is established by each diplomatic mission. The candidate should enquire at the diplomatic mission about the enrolment calendar, starting 25 October 2013.
All application files should be sent by the Romanian diplomatic missions through the diplomatic courier in such a way that they can be registered at MAE DDPCS by 15 February 2014.
Foreign diplomatic missions accredited to Bucharest must send the application files with a Verbal Note to MAE DDPCS by 15 February 2014, at the latest.
Incomplete files are not taken into consideration. Rejected application files are not returned.
Applications files should contain documents in English or French language.
If the application files contain documents in other foreign languages than English or French, they must be accompanied by authorized translations in one of the following languages: Romanian, English or French. Generally, Romanian universities may require that all enrolment documents should be accompanied by authorized copies and authorized translations in Romanian.
It is of utmost importance to fill in correctly all forms.
Announcement of results:
The MAE board makes the first selection between 15 and 20 March 2014. By 1 April 2014, MAE sends to MEN the selected files. The MEN Board meets in April 2014 to make the final selection and will send list of successful candidates by 30 April 2014.
The selection results will be announced by 30 May 2014 to each diplomatic mission that submitted application files.
Application Deadline:15 February 2014
Open to International Applicants: Yes (EXCEPT EU countries)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: European Scholarships for International Students
Was above article useful? Please share: