Course(s) Offered: Chemistry
Course Level: Secondary school
Provider: PZ Cussons Foundation
Country to Study in: Nigeria
Chemistry is a dynamic and interesting discipline that is deeply ingrained in health care, engineering, business, management, government, marketing, product development, environmental management and even law!
In recent years, the PZ Cussons Foundation in view of this central and important role, introduced "The PZ Cussons Chemistry Challenge" to promote the study of chemistry through open competition amongst Nigerian secondary schools. This competition is promoted by PZ Cussons in conjunction with Carex.
The primary objective of the competition is to stimulate and inspire the learning of Chemistry amongst students and raise their IQ. It is to also demonstrate the relevance and role of chemistry in our society.
The competition is open to only senior secondary school students in Lagos State. Interested students will need the endorsement of their schools and the support of their parents or guardians.
Specific entry requirements include:
- Competition is open to all chemistry students in SS 3 only
- Only 2 students per school
- Students have to be schooling in Lagos only
- Students are to be sponsored by their Secondary Schools
- Entries are Open to both Private and Public secondary schools
- Entry is FREE
Citizens of Nigeria
All public and private schools in Lagos State
The area of concentration is Chemistry.
Format of the competition:
The competition shall be in three stages: First Stage, Second Stage and the Main Challenge
- Stage 1 (All Participants): The First stage shall be a written quiz and all screened candidates shall participate at this stage. Prizes: General gifts.
- Stage 2 (100 Participants): The Second stage shall also be a written quiz and only those who score 70% and above in the first stage shall qualify for this stage. Prizes: Certificate of Merit and general gifts.
- Final Stage (4 Participants): This is the Main Challenge, the Battle of the Fantastic 4. Only the best four from the Second stage shall qualify for the Finals. Prizes: Cash Awards + Gifts.
Number of awards
Several to the winner, 3 runners-up, the various Chemistry teachers and the schools of all winning students
This is a onetime financial aid coupled with medal awards plus laptop gifts
The Winner will receive a Trophy, Gold Medal, N700,000 worth of scholarship and a Laptop. There will also be N100,000 for the Chemistry teacher and N100,000 worth of Chemistry books for the winning school.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd Runner-up Winners will each receive a Silver medal + N500,000 worth of scholarship + Laptop (for 1st runner up); a Bronze medal + N400,000 worth of scholarship + Laptop (for 2nd runner up) AND a Consolation medal + N300,000 worth of scholarship + Laptop (for 3rd runner up) respectively in that order. In addition, their teachers and schools will receive various amounts of cash and books.
Finally, the Carex Merit Award (i.e. consolation prizes) in the form of cash prizes of N50,000 each for the 5th to 10th positions (6 students).
Method of Application
To participate, you must register. Ensure you register only once:
- Download the Registration Form from the official website (link to it is below);
- Print the form you downloaded;
- Fill in the form, and ensure that it is duly signed or stamped by your school Principal/Authorized Personnel (Note: All Forms must be duly signed and stamped by school principal).
- Scan your completed form and send to: email@example.com.
Candidates are advised to provide their true and reachable phone numbers and email address as exam centres would be communicated to them via these medium
Please visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on this competition.
Entry closes November 4th, 2015
PZ Cussons is a major manufacturer of personal healthcare products and consumer goods. It operates worldwide, especially in Africa and Commonwealth nations. The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange and a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Application Deadline: 4 November 2015
Open for International Applicants: No (ONLY Nigerians)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships for Science & Technology Students