Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Graduate (training)
Provider: African Development Bank
Country to Study in: Member countries
Every year, the African Development Bank (AfDB), established to strengthen dialogue between the Bank and the Government, recruits young Africans for the Young Professionals Program (YPP).
The Young Professionals Program targets motivated and talented individuals under thirty-two (32) years of age, who are committed to African development, have demonstrated outstanding academic and professional achievement, and have demonstrated effective team work and leadership potential.
Applications for the 2015 Young Professionals Program has opened.
The following established selection criteria guide the recruitment and selection into the Program, and at no time will the Bank make an exception for any candidate:
- Citizen of a member country (regional or non-regional) of the AfDB.
- A maximum of 32 years of age by December 31st of the selection year.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Engineering, Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Finance, or any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, and with outstanding academic credentials.
- Multi-disciplinary background and a minimum of three years relevant work experience. Demonstrated strong analytical skills; dynamism; results-orientation; and problem-solving capability.
- Areas of particular interest to the Program include leadership potential; ability to work in a variety of operational and corporate tasks; ability to leverage knowledge with others; and adaptability to working in a multicultural setting.
- Demonstrated passion for development issues and a commitment to Africa (field experience on the continent and/or in other developing countries is an added advantage).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English or French with a working knowledge of the other language (working knowledge of a third language that is relevant to the Bank’s operations in Africa is an advantage).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft operating systems (PowerPoint, Excel, Visio). Additional I.T. skills are an advantage.
- In addition, the AfDB will take into account skills in areas such as Information Communication and Technology (ICT); People management and Administration; Fiduciary Risks (i.e. Audit, Risk Management and Anti-Corruption); and Knowledge Management.
Citizen of a member country (regional or non-regional) of the AfDB.
Includes 53 countries in Africa and 24 countries outside the continent (Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States of America.)
The African Development Bank (AfDB) Group
Fields of study
Any field, discipline or course of study that is relevant to the business of the Bank like Economics, Engineering, Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Finance, etc
Number of awards
The African Development Bank (AfDB) hires approximately twenty (20) young professionals each year.
Upon acceptance of offer and entry, the YPs complete a mandatory minimum of two years and maximum of three years on rotational assignments in different organizational units and sectors within the Bank.
The AfDB offers an internationally competitive remuneration and benefits package.
The YPs will undergo on-the-job training and mentoring that will equip them with skills, knowledge and experience to address developmental issues in Africa in particular and the developing world in general.
At the end of three years and upon successful completion of the program, the YPs will be equipped to compete for any relevant vacancies in the AfDB.
Method of Application
All applications for positions at AfDB are to be submitted online.
If you are a first-time user of the online registration system, please register, if not please log in.
Please attach the most current curriculum vitae (CV) with your current contact details along with a transcript from your Master’s degree(s). Please provide more than one e-mail address when possible and your complete telephone number including country code and area/city code.
The YPP selection process is highly competitive. You should therefore provide as much information as possible on your online form.
Applicants with dual nationality are advised that the Bank recognizes only one nationality from a member country; as such, kindly indicate the nationality you wish to declare. Successful candidates from the selection process will be appointed YPs under their declared nationalities for the duration of the Program and any continuing contract with AfDB.
If you meet all the eligibility requirements, please apply online via accessing the current call for applications or visiting the official YPP webpage (link to it is below).
Applications will be accepted until midnight (Tunis time) of the closing date of the Vacancy Announcement. The closing date for 2014/2015 session is 6th October, 2014.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Please note that all applicants must have completed and obtained a Master’s or equivalent Degree Certificate by the time the vacancy announcement closes to be considered for the program.
Due to the high volume of responses normally received, only electronic confirmations of receipt will be issued. If you do not get a formal correspondence from the Bank within three months of the closing date, your application is not being considered for the program. Please do not contact the Bank or staff members to enquire about the status of your application.
Application Deadline: 6 October 2014
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Microsoft launches 4Afrika scholarship, Targets 1,000 students