Course(s) Offered: Any field/project/idea
Course Level: Undergraduate, Graduate
Provider: Rolex SA
Country to Study in: Any country
Rolex is looking for young visionaries to offer the Rolex Awards for Enterprise. The Rolex Awards are open to anyone over 18 years of age, of any nationality, whose ground-breaking project is helping to expand the knowledge of our world and improve the quality of life on the planet.
The Rolex Awards provide financial assistance to people who want to implement concrete working projects. Applicants must submit projects that are envisaged for the future or that have been completed only in part.
Applications for the 2018 Rolex Awards for Enterprise are now open. The 2018 Rolex Awards for Enterprise do not fund scholarships for academic studies or research.
Criteria for eligibility:
- Applications are open to candidates aged 18-30 years old by the end of the application period.
- Pre-applications for the 2018 Rolex Awards for Enterprise may be submitted by individuals only. No institutional or collective preapplications are allowed. If a project represents the efforts of several individuals, one person must represent the group and sign the preapplication form. Should such a group effort be chosen, the Rolex Award will be presented to the individual representative. Rolex SA will have no obligation to any other members of the group.
- No pre-applications on behalf of another person will be accepted. Preapplicants must submit their own ideas and proposals.
- Pre-applications cannot be submitted by Rolex employees; Rolex agents and retailers and their employees; employees of advertising, public relations and any other agencies acting for Rolex; members of the immediate families of any of the above; any other person closely connected with Rolex SA. Former Rolex Awards and Young Laureates Programme Jury Members, Laureates, Associate Laureates and Young Laureates are also excluded.
- Preapplictions are invited only for projects in the areas listed below (see Field of Study below)
- Projects must improve the quality of life on the planet, expand knowledge of our world or contribute to the betterment of humankind.
- Projects must be envisaged for the future or completed only in part. Completed work, or projects that will be finished when the awards are announced late in 2018, cannot be considered.
In addition to demonstrating a spirit of enterprise and leadership, candidates must put forward projects or work plans that:
- have a clear purpose,
- are original, and
- have the potential for significant impact.
Citizens of ANY nationality or background
Rolex SA deals with individual applicants only. No institutional or collective preapplications are allowed.
Fields of study
For the 2018 awards, Rolex Awards for Enterprise will support pioneering work in
- The environment
- Applied science and technology
- Exploration and discovery
Science and health Cultural heritage
Five Rolex awards will be offered to young leaders
This is a onetime financial presentation and award.
Scholarship benefits / Prizes
The winners will each receive 100,000 Swiss francs to advance their projects. They will also benefit from worldwide publicity and receive a Rolex chronometer
Method of Application
Candidates for the Rolex Awards can submit their project ideas in a short online pre-application. Candidates have a maximum of three weeks to complete their application form once they create an account. The application must be completed in English. Candidates are allowed to fill in only one application. The candidate should be the person who plays a leading role in the project or the organization.
Projects are judged on their feasibility, originality, potential for sustained impact and, above all, on the candidates’ spirit of enterprise. Applicants must show how they will use a Rolex Award to leverage the impact of their projects, and how, through initiative and ingenuity, they will benefit mankind.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information and also to access the online application link.
Please apply anytime between December 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017 (at 12 noon Switzerland time, GMT+2). Rolex strongly encourages you to apply early.
The Rolex Awards for Enterprise, a philanthropic programme of Rolex SA, aim to encourage a spirit of enterprise in individuals around the world by supporting outstanding efforts in areas that advance human knowledge and well-being. The Awards are open to individuals of any nationality or background.
Winners are chosen by a Jury of international experts who themselves embody the spirit of enterprise that the Awards seek to promote. The Jury is international, interdisciplinary and independent. A new panel is convened for each series of Awards, which are presented every two years. The applications are analysed by a team of scientific researchers before being presented to the Jury.
Rolex SA is the renowned international watch manufacturing company based in Geneva, Switzerland. It is a Swiss luxury watchmaker. The company and its subsidiary Montres Tudor SA design, manufacture, distribute and service wristwatches sold under the Rolex and Tudor brands. Founded by Hans Wilsdorf and Alfred Davis in London, England in 1905 as Wilsdorf and Davis, Rolex moved its base of operations to Geneva, Switzerland in 1919.
Application Deadline: 30 June 2017
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top Scholarship in Switzerland for International Students