Course(s) Offered: Any field/project/idea
Course Level: Undergraduate, Graduate
Provider: Rolex SA
Country to Study in: Any country
Rolex is looking for young visionaries to offer the Rolex Awards for Enterprise. The Rolex Awards are open to anyone over 18 years of age, of any nationality, whose ground-breaking project is helping to expand the knowledge of our world and improve the quality of life on the planet.
The Rolex Awards provide financial assistance to people who want to implement concrete working projects. Applicants must submit projects that are envisaged for the future or that have been completed only in part.
Applications for the 2016 Rolex Awards for Enterprise are now open. The 2016 Rolex Awards for Enterprise do not fund scholarships for academic studies or research.
Criteria for eligibility:
- Applications are open to candidates aged over 18 years old ONLY.
- Pre-applications for the 2016 Rolex Awards for Enterprise may be submitted by individuals only. No institutional or collective preapplications are allowed. If a project represents the efforts of several individuals, one person must represent the group and sign the preapplication form. Should such a group effort be chosen, the Rolex Award will be presented to the individual representative. Rolex SA will have no obligation to any other members of the group.
- No pre-applications on behalf of another person will be accepted. Preapplicants must submit their own ideas and proposals.
- Pre-applications cannot be submitted by Rolex employees; Rolex agents and retailers and their employees; employees of advertising, public relations and any other agencies acting for Rolex; members of the immediate families of any of the above; any other person closely connected with Rolex SA. Former Rolex Awards and Young Laureates Programme Jury Members, Laureates, Associate Laureates and Young Laureates are also excluded.
- Preapplictions are invited only for projects in the areas listed below (see Field of Study below)
- Projects must improve the quality of life on the planet, expand knowledge of our world or contribute to the betterment of humankind.
- Projects must be envisaged for the future or completed only in part. Completed work, or projects that will be finished when the awards are announced late in 2016, cannot be considered.
In reviewing pre-applications, Rolex will determine primarily whether the candidates show exceptional spirit of enterprise. The following criteria will also be applied to select the projects in the pre-application stage:
- Clear project purpose; and
- Project’s feasibility.
Citizens of ANY nationality or background
Rolex SA deals with individual applicants only. No institutional or collective preapplications are allowed.
Fields of study
Rolex SA support pioneering work in five areas:
- Science and health
- Applied technology
- Exploration and discovery
- The environment
- Cultural heritage
In the past years, only five (5) major awards were usually given, including several many others of unspecified number.
In 2016, to celebrate the initiative’s four decades of existence, Rolex will offer five Laureate Awards and five Young Laureate Awards, asking an independent Jury of experts to choose 10 exceptional individuals who demonstrate that they have pioneering projects that will benefit the world.
This is a onetime financial presentation and award.
Scholarship benefits / Prizes
The Laureates will each receive 100,000 Swiss francs and the Young Laureates 50,000 Swiss francs each to advance their projects. They will also benefit from worldwide publicity and receive a Rolex chronometer.
In the past, the Jury may grant other prizes to applicants worthy of support. The amount of these prizes were determined at the discretion of the Jury.
Method of Application
Candidates for the Rolex Awards can submit their project ideas in a short online pre-application.
Projects are judged on their feasibility, originality, potential for sustained impact and, above all, on the candidates’ spirit of enterprise. Applicants must show how they will use a Rolex Award to leverage the impact of their projects, and how, through initiative and ingenuity, they will benefit mankind.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information and also to access the online application link.
The deadline for pre-applications is May 31, 2015.
The Rolex Awards for Enterprise, a philanthropic programme of Rolex SA, aim to encourage a spirit of enterprise in individuals around the world by supporting outstanding efforts in areas that advance human knowledge and well-being. The Awards are open to individuals of any nationality or background.
Winners are chosen by a Jury of international experts who themselves embody the spirit of enterprise that the Awards seek to promote. The Jury is international, interdisciplinary and independent. A new panel is convened for each series of Awards, which are presented every two years. The applications are analysed by a team of scientific researchers before being presented to the Jury.
Rolex SA is the renowned international watch manufacturing company based in Geneva, Switzerland.
Application Deadline: 31 May 2015
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top Scholarship in Switzerland for International Students