Course(s) Offered: Several priority fields
Course Level: Graduate (masters, phd)
Provider: Govt of Malaysia
Country to Study in: Malaysia
The Malaysian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) are awarded by the Malaysian Government to nominated students from Commonwealth countries to study at post-graduate level in Malaysia.
This is a Government to Government scheme without any bond imposed by Malaysia.
The awards for Masters degree are between 12 to 24 months depending on the courses. Awards for pursuing PhD degree are for 3 years. The Awards are only applicable for candidates pursuing full-time degree programme in Malaysia.
To be eligible for the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP), applicants must fit the following criteria:
- Not be more than 45 years of age during application.
- Obtained a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 at Bachelor Degree Level for Masters Degree applicants and for PhD candidates must possess CGPA 3.5/4.0 or very good result at Masters degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study. In addition, for post-doctoral programme, the selection will be evaluated based on the number of books produced, refereed/non refereed journals, portfolio and patent copyright. The Post-Doctoral candidate must have excellent reputation in research and possesses knowledge related to the research to be carried out.
- Took one of the following English Language Proficiency Test not more than two years before the date of application. The list of tests and minimum scores required:
- In excellent health condition and certified by a Certified Doctor/Medical Professional. The cost of medical examination is to be borne by the applicants
- Wrote a proposal that is relevant to the needs and interests of Malaysia (research-based programme only)
- Has applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia (conditional letters of offer will be accepted at the time of application or has a confirmation of acceptance or affiliation with the universities in Malaysia).
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:-
- High-level academic achievement
- The quality of the research proposal and its potential contribution towards advancement of technology and human well-being.
- Excellent communication, writing and reading skills in English Language
Citizens of all Commonwealth developing countries
All approved institutions of higher learning in Malaysia
Fields of study
Field of studies is in the following priority areas:
- Science and Engineering
- Agriculture and Fisheries
- Economics and Islamic Finance
- Information and Communication Technology
- Biosecurity and Food Safety
- Infrastructure and Utility
- Environmental Studies
- Health not including nursing, medicine, clinical pharmacy.
Number of awards
Not specified, however several will be given
Masters degree is between 12 to 24 months depending on the course. PhD degree is for 3 years.
Each scholarship consists of:-
- Air tickets from recipient’s capital city to Malaysia
- An approved tuition fees
- Monthly maintenance allowance
- Annual grant for books and internal travel
- Medical / Health Insurance
- Installation and Termination grant
- Thesis allowance
Method of Application
All applications should be made ONLINE through the official Ministry of Higher Education’s website. Register here within the stipulated deadline period as given below. Please note that application is in 3 broad steps:
- REGISTER your Passport Number or National Identification Number, password and email address. LOGIN to online application form and fill in all sections completely.
- Attach printed application form together with all requested documents, which include Recent passport size photograph; Completed Medical Report; A certified copy of current passport showing evidence of citizenship; A certified copy of academic transcript, testimonials and/or references relating to the relevant study, co-curriculum activities, achievements; A clear and precise study or research plan; A certified copy of English Language proficiency certificate (Test of English as a Foreign Language/TOEFL or International English Language Testing Service/IELTS); Curriculum Vitae; Admission letter from Malaysian University; Two letters of recommendation from two (2) people who can act as referees to support your application; AND Endorsement Form.
- Scan all documents stated above in PDF format and LOGIN to MIS Online Application. You are required to attach the documents and click SUBMIT button to submit the application.
The period for receipt of applications is repeated during the year. The current call for applications should be made ONLINE starting from 1st August until 15th September 2016. The previous application period was 1st January to 31 March 2016.
You are required to complete the two Letters of Recommendation from two referees, Endorsement Form and Medical Report. Please bring printed ONLINE application form and required documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the relevant agency responsible for the MIS scholarship in your country to get the endorsement.
All the application is fully online. No hard copy is required. Bring the hard copy of application form and original certificate during the interview session.
Application Deadline: 15 September 2016
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Tuition Free Universities in Norway for International Students