Course(s) Offered: All fields
Course Level: Undergraduate, Postgraduate (master’s, doctorate)
Provider: Lagos State Government
Country to Study in: Nigeria
Important: For the most current edition, please see LSSB Undergraduate Scholarships and the LSSB Postgraduate Scholarships.
The Local Scholarship Award, offered by the Lagos state government via its State Scholarship Board, is for prospective students of Lagos State origin except otherwise directed by His Excellency. The scholarship award was resuscitated in 2002. Students should be on full-time and not part-time studies to benefit from these awards.
The Lagos State Scholarship Board is one of the earliest agencies established shortly after the creation of the state. It was constituted through Executive Council Memorandum No LSEC (68) as an advisory and implementation organ on Scholarship awards. The Lagos State Scholarship Board administers both the Lagos State Local and Foreign Scholarship Awards.
- The award is not for Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) Programmes, except where it is a direct component of the Masters programme.
- Prospective awardees for Post-Graduate programmes must have proven academic abilities attested to by their performance in the first degree.
- Propective awardees must have secured admission into a Nigerian tertiary institution before applying for the Scholarship award.
- The course of study must be within the manpower needs of Lagos State, as determined by the Office of the Special Adviser on Education/Scholarship Board from time to time.
All prospective students of Lagos State origin except otherwise directed by the current Governor of Lagos State.
Those who have benefited include:
- Those with excellent performance in their area of academic study and sports.
- Off-spring of those who died under tragic circumstances, or natural disaster within the State.
- Brilliant physically –challenged, indigent students/pupils and orphans who without Government support wouldn’t have been able to achieve thier desired goal.
All accredited institutions of higher learning in Nigeria
Fields of study
Any course of study deemed to be within the manpower needs of Lagos State
Number of awards
Several, but not provided by provider.
For the 2011/2012 session, 337 qualified state indigenes in various tertiary institutions throughout the country received awards. This included 223 undergraduate students with 3.5 Grade Point and above (and another 40 undergraduate students who automatically qualified for Merit Award having got 4.0 Grade Point and above) and 74 Post Graduate students who took part in the January 2012 Local Scholarship interview.
Awards will be per academic session
Financial benefit for the Local Scholarship Awards was recently increased by the Lagos State Government. Per academic session, awardees will receive as follows:
|Doctorate degree (PhD)|| |
|Masters degree (M. Sc, MBA)|| |
|Bachelor’s degree (B.Sc.)|| |
|Colleges and Poly|| |
|Technical School|| |
|Secondary School|| |
|Primary School|| |
Modalities for disbursement of funds to awardees:
- All awardees under this category would receive their awards by bank cheque payable into their bank account.
- Release of subsequent award cheque to awardees would be subject to issuance of clearance from the Academic Office of the various institutions of the beneficiaries, and
- Attestation to good behaviour by the dean of students Affairs.
Interested applicants are expected to pay and obtain receipt of N2, 000.00 at the Office of Special Adviser on Education, Block 5, Secretariat, Alausa. Thereafter, scratch cards can be obtained at Lagos State Scholarship Board, Agege.
You may obtain application forms when you log into the Online Application portal with the Serial and PIN numbers on the scratch cards.
Completed application forms will be submitted at the interview centre with the following documents:
- Letter of Admission.
- Father’s Birth Certificate.
- Applicant’s Birth Certificate.
- Identification Letter from Local Govt
- Identification Letter from Oba
- Student School I. D Card.
- JAMB Result Slip.
- SSCE/GCE Result.
- Receipt of purchase of Application form.
- Current Progress Report with minimum of 3.5 CGPA OR 2nd Class Upper for Post graduate applicants.
Lagos State Scholarship Board (LSSB)
254, Ipaja Road,
Telephone: 01-793 9252
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Application Deadline: November 2012 (contact LSSB for specific dates)
Open to International students: No (Lagos State Indigenes)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Undergraduate Scholarships and Postgraduate Scholarships for Nigerians