Course(s) Offered: All courses
Course Level: Graduate (research, Phd, postdoc)
Provider: Swiss government
Country to Study in: Switzerland
UPDATE: see Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships in Switzerland
Every year, the Swiss Government offers scholarships to foreign students, among whom are Nigerian scholars.
The Government of Switzerland through its Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), awards various postgraduate scholarships to Nigerian students in three categories: Excellence Research Scholarships, Excellence PhD Scholarships, AND Excellence Post-doctoral Scholarships.
These scholarships provide Nigerian graduates from all fields with the opportunity to pursue postgraduate studies or research in Switzerland at one of the public funded university or recognized institution.
Nigerian graduates wishing to pursue their study or research in Switzerland who are:
- Highly qualified postgraduate researchers from all academic fields as well as young Medical Doctors;
- Highly qualified post-graduate students (in possession of the required degrees) from all academic fields; or
- Highly qualified postdoctoral researchers from all academic fields
For complete eligibility criteria, visit the official website via link provided below.
Scholarship awards are decided on the basis of academic and scientific excellence.
Citizens of the Federal republic of Nigeria.
It is important to note that 'Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships' are available to citizens of ALL countries, but information on this page is specifically for Nigerians. To learn more about information on this scholarship for ALL other countries, see 'Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships'.
Any of Switzerland’s institutions of higher learning, including:
|Universities||University of Basel / University of Bern / University of Fribourg / University of Geneva / University of Lausanne / University of Lucerne / University of Neuchâtel / University of St.Gallen / University of Zurich / University of Lugano|
|Federal Institutes of Technology||Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL) / Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ)|
|Teaching and Research Institutes||Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID) / Swiss Graduate School of Public Administration (IDHEAP)|
|Universities of Applied Sciences (ONLY for research and postdoc students)||University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland / Bern University of Applied Sciences / University of Applied Sciences Northwest Switzerland / University of applied Sciences Eastern Switzerland / Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts / University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland|
Fields of study
Types of scholarships offered:
- Research Scholarships: To enable selected applicants to undertake a Research in the realm of their PhD or their Medical specialization in one of the 10 Swiss Public Universities, the two Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology, the public teaching and research institutes and the Universities of applied sciences
- PhD Scholarships: To enable selected applicants to undertake a PhD in one of the 10 Swiss Public Universities, the two Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology and public teaching and research institutes
- Post-doctoral Scholarships: To enable selected applicants to undertake a Postdoctoral Research in one of the 10 Swiss Public Universities, the two Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology, the public teaching and research institutes and the Universities of applied sciences
Number of awards
Several although number not specified by provider
Scholarships are provided for the following durations:
- Research fellowships: 12 months maximum (non renewable)
- PhD scholarships: 3 years maximum
- Postdoctorate scholarships: 12 months (renewable maximum 6 month)
Amount and additional allowances:
- The scholarship amounts to a monthly payment of 1920 (CHF3500 for postdoc students) Swiss Francs (tax free net amount)
- Exemption of the tuition fees (except for EPFL)
- Mandatory Swiss Health insurance paid by the FCS (for non-European grantees only)
- A lump sum for air fare for non-European grantees (provided at the end of the scholarship)
- Special 300 Swiss Francs lodging allowance (paid once at the beginning of the scholarship)
- 1 year half-fare public transportation card
- Counseling and various trips, dinners and sight seeing tours organized for Swiss Government Scholarship holders
If you fulfill the eligibility requirements cited in the above-mentioned scholarships:
- The application package can be obtained from the Swiss Embassy in Abuja.
- Applications have to be returned in 3 copies
The deadline date for the submission of ALL applications is 30.11.2013
Applications are subject to preliminary selection by the relevant national authorities and/or the Swiss diplomatic representation. The short-listed applications are then analyzed by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) which subsequently takes the final decision.
The FCS is composed of University Professors from all the Swiss public Universities.
Questions and application documents, have to be submitted at the following address:
Swiss Embassy in Abuja,
157 Adetokumbo Ademola Crescent,
Wuse II, 900003;
Tel: 00234 (0) 810 411 9943-6
Application Deadline: 30 November 2013
Open to International students: No (ONLY Nigerians)
More Scholarship Information and Application (Swiss Govt - Nigeria page)
More Scholarship Information and Application (Swiss Embassy, Abuja)
Related: List of Scholarships in Switzerland for International Students