Course(s) Offered: STEM related
Course Level: Undergraduate
Provider: WAAW Foundation
Country to Study in: Africa (Applicants' home country)
The Working to Advance African Women (WAAW) Foundation has announced the next round of its scholarship program for African women for 2015/2016 academic session.
WAAW is a U.S. based non-profit organization focused on Working to Advance African Women, whose mission is to increase the pipeline of African women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) related fields, and work to ensure that this talent is engaged in African innovation.
The program offers $500/year for need-based female African students admitted to a University, College or institute of higher learning in Africa. Scholarships are renewable annually, following proof of the student’s continued academic performance.
WAAW foundation's annual scholarship initiative is aimed at supporting need based African female STEM-focused college education. Please read the eligibility criteria before you apply. All non qualifying applications will be automatically deleted!
Criteria for eligibility includes:
- Female students of African origin, living and studying in Africa.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate B.S.degree program.
- Studying STEM related courses in a University or college in Africa.
- Demonstrable financial need, and
- Excellent Academic Record.
- Below the age of 32 years.
- Graduation date is after December of award year
WAAW Foundation awards annual scholarships to students who demonstrate need and prove their status as full time students in a STEM related course in an African University. Recipients will become WAAW Ambassadors in their respective communities.
Female citizens of ANY African country, living and studying in Africa
Any African University, College or institute of higher learning. See the Top 100 Universities and Colleges in Africa (Academic Year 2013).
Fields of study
All undergraduate level courses offered in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM)
Number of awards
Not specified by provider (however five were awarded in 2014)
Scholarship is a onetime fund but is renewable annually, following proof of the student’s continued academic performance.
Scholarship recipients will receive an award of $500 for the current academic year, or the equivalent in their country’s local currency.
Scholarship recipients may reapply for renewal the following year, with proof of continued excellent academic performance.
Method of Application
All qualified applicants must complete all sections of the application form and submit all required materials to WAAW foundation on or before the deadline. All application must be completed online.
Your application will include the following:
- Application form filled out completely. WAAW will only accept online applications. NO PAPER APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Personal and Contact Information.
- Educational Background and Family Information
- Statement of need should describe why scholarship funds are needed and what the funds will be used for if received.
- Essays are a strong criteria in determining candidates who are short listed. Responses to essay questions that address career goals and how you expect the WAAW scholarship will assist in your education.
- Two academic/professional references. Note recommendations and transcripts ARE NOT REQUIRED AT THIS TIME. ONLY after a candidate has been shortlisted.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information and also to begin your application process.
WAAW usually accepts applications between August 1st - October 31st of every year.
WAAW will, however, start accepting 2015/2016 applications from August 1, 2015 through midnight of September 30, 2015. Applications submitted prior to the open date or after the close date will not be received nor reviewed.
WAAW will only accept online applications!
Only shortlisted candidates will be asked for recommendation letters or University transcripts during the verification process. DO NOT SEND TRANSCRIPTS NOW!
Application Deadline: 30 September 2015
Open for International Students: No (ONLY Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships for African Women