African Palliative Care (APC) Nursing Scholarships
Course(s) Offered: Nursing
Course Level: Undergraduate, Graduate (masters, diploma, training)
Provider: APC Nursing Scholarship Fund
Country to Study in: Africa
As part of their mission to expand the availability of hospice and palliative care in sub-Saharan Africa, the African Palliative Care Association (APCA) in partnership with FHSSA (previously the Foundation for Hospices in Sub Saharan Africa) provides a limited number of scholarships each year for Palliative Care Training opportunities for nurses.
The Scholarship fund was established by a generous anonymous donation in honour of Kath Defilippi, the founding Board Chair of the African Palliative Care Association to recognise her many career achievements as a nurse in hospice and palliative care in Africa.
The need for nurses trained in palliative care in Africa is enormous, particularly in rural areas where nurses are typically the only healthcare professionals available.
- Be a Registered Nurse or an Enrolled Nurse residing and practicing in Africa and with evidence that they will be able to continue providing palliative care after their training (please provide a supporting letter from head of your institution confirming this).
- Have applied for the course they intend to pursue (where they have an acceptance this should be attached to the application)
- Legibly complete the application form and attach all supporting documents requested
Citizens of African countries
All recognised institutions in Africa for Nurses
Fields of study
Training programmes which the Scholarship supports include:
- Bachelor of Science in Palliative Care (Degree)
- Distance Learning Diploma in Palliative Care
- Palliative care initiators course
- Nurse prescribers' training
Number of awards
Not specified. However, with the current level of funding, it is expected that a total of 11 to 13 nurses will benefit
The Scholarship fund will support:
- A contribution of up to US$4,000 per person for palliative care education and training at recognised institutions in Africa for Enrolled and Registered Nurses.
- Additionally, the fund will make available sponsorship of a maximum of US$500 per person for approximately 5 nurses to targeted national and international conferences.
- A contribution of up to USD $4,000 to one distance learning Masters training in palliative care may be considered in the year.
Method of Application
Applicants must complete the application form available online on both the APCA and FHSSA websites throughout the year at www.africanpalliativecare.org or at www.fhssa.org (active link to web addresses provided below).
Applicants must complete all the sections of the form and provide the supporting documents required. Please note that all applications may be completed in English, French or Portuguese and should be legible and be submitted before the closing date. Any incomplete or illegible or late application will risk not being reviewed.
Filled application forms and enquiries should be emailed to:
David Kagoro Byaruhanga at: email@example.com by 30th April 2014 and receipt will be acknowledged.
Please note that the application form is a Word document. To download this form, and read more current information please visit the official website (link to APCA application page is below).
The annual application deadline dates varies, but announcement of Scholarship Fund is usually made around the 15th of February; while the Application deadline closes around the 30th of April.
You may have to contact the Sponsor for specific dates.
Applicants must complete the application form available online on both the APCA and FHSSA websites.
All offers are conditional on applicants securing admission to the training institution and will only be awarded when this confirmation is received. Should the candidate not be accepted, the scholarship will be awarded to another candidate. Candidates are informed on/before 30th of June 2014.
For those intending to apply for a scholarship for a distance provided Masters, they should be already enrolled on a course and have completed at least one semester of studies and note that only one scholarship opportunity is potentially available. Those requesting for funding to cover their last year of study will be given priority
Application Deadline: 30 April 2014
Open to International students: No (ONLY Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application
APC Nursing Scholarship Fund Page (FHSSA website)
Related: Nursing Scholarships at Home and Abroad