Study Subject(s): Molecular Biology, Molecular Genetics
Course Level: Postgraduate (research, fellowship)
Scholarship Provider: CEMB, Lahore, Pakistan and TWAS
Scholarship can be taken at: Pakistan
The National Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology (CEMB), Lahore, Pakistan and TWAS offer fellowships to young scientists from developing countries (other than Pakistan) who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in molecular biology and molecular genetics.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country.
- Hold a Master's degree in a field of natural sciences.
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from CEMB (see sample Acceptance Letter in the application form). Requests for acceptance must be sent to the Director of CEMB (Prof. Dr. Muhammad Amin Athar: by e-mail email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Prof. Athar applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline;
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Nationals of any developing country (other than Pakistan)
TWAS-CEMB Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at departments of the National Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology (CEMB).
NOTE: Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country (SANDWICH option), or may enrol in a PhD course at CEMB (FULL-TIME option).
Fields of study
Studies leading to a PhD degree in: molecular biology, molecular genetics, plant molecular biology or medical molecular biology
For a period of up to 4 years
- Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country (SANDWICH option), or may enrol in a PhD course at CEMB (FULL-TIME option). In both cases, TWAS covers only one return journey to the host country.
- CEMB will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs, such as food, accommodation and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- If awarded, applicants must sit a compulsory entrance examination in either April or September prior to starting their Fellowship.
- The language of instruction is English.
You may download the PG Application form and PG Application Guidelines
Before applying it is recommended that you read very carefully the application guidelines for detailed information on eligibility criteria, deadlines and other key requirements of the application procedure.
Submitting your application:
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 30 June of each year.
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from CEMB when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachments via e-mail directly to TWAS and CEMB. The subject line must contain: CEMB/PG/candidate's surname. Alternatively, letters should be sent by post in sealed envelopes. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Applicants to the TWAS-CEMB Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send one copy of their application (by email, fax or post) to TWAS and one copy (hard copy only) to CEMB.
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-314
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
Scholarship Application Deadline: 30 June of each year
Scholarship Open for International Students: Yes (Developing Countries)
More Scholarship Information and Application