Course(s) Offered: Photography
Contest Level: Undergraduate, Postgraduate
Provider: Google Inc.
Country to Contest in: Worldwide (any country)
In the first 100 days after the creation of the Google+ community, more than 3.4 billion photos have been uploaded to the platform by users.
In order to help boost exposure for great arts, Google is teaming up with Saatchi Gallery, London to offer the Google Photography Prize. This is a chance for students around the world, including across Africa, to showcase their photos on Google+ and have their work exhibited at a major art institution.
The contest is open to students of higher institutions around the world (with few exceptions, see eligibility below). There are 10 different categories to spark your imagination. And there are some great prizes to be won.
To be eligible to enter the Contest, you must be:
- 18 years or older on the submission date and enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate course at any higher education institute, college, the equivalent of college, graduate school, or trade school (“Higher Education Institution”) around the world including Africa;
- not a resident of Brazil, Quebec, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, Libya, Liberia, Zimbabwe, or Myanmar (Burma);
- have access to the Internet as of 10 November 2011; and
- able to attend the private exhibition and announcement of the Contest winner, on or around 23 May 2012 at Saatchi Gallery, London in the UK.
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT as above)
All accredited higher education institute, college, the equivalent of college, graduate school, or trade school worldwide
Fields of study
For the "Google Photography Prize":
Google challenges you to come up with photographs that will make us laugh, cry, listen, hop on a plane, start a conversation, or start a revolution.
Number of awards
More than 100 winners will be selected
Contest Winners Prizes
In addition to having your photos displayed online, there are some great prizes to be won.
- Top 100 entries: A Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone
- Top 10 Finalists: Finalists’ work will be shown at Saatchi Gallery, London for two months which will coincide with the exhibition ‘Out of Focus: Photography’. This will be an exciting opportunity to have your work exhibited alongside that of photographers such as Adam Broomberg & Oliver Chanarin, JH Engstrom and Katy Grannan. You and your +1 will also win a trip to London to attend the exhibition opening.
- Grand Prize: In addition to the exhibition at Saatchi Gallery, London the winner will go on a once-in-a-lifetime photography trip to a destination of their choice with a professional photography coach.
No purchase is necessary to enter or win. To enter the contest, visit the official "Contest page" (link to it is below). Pick just one of the ten categories, share up to eight of your best shots in a public Google+ album and complete the submission form by the deadline date below.
=> First of all Submit your photos to Google+:
Sign into your Google+ account. If you don’t have an account sign up for one here. Go to your home page, click on the camera icon in your Stream, and create an album (1 entry per person, 1 category per entry, max 8 shots). Name it: Google Photography Prize.
Please ensure you keep the original photographs as it will be required if you make the final shortlist!
In the description field, add the relevant hash-tag of the category you are entering (e.g. #travelgpp, all hashtags are here). Make the album Public and share it.
=> Secondly, Fill out the Submission Form:
The contest period begins 10 November 2011 and closes January 31, 2012.
You may see a list of winners after May 23, 2012 on the contest page.
The Photographs must meet the “Photograph Requirements,” as described on the official website (link to it is below).
Limit one (1) entry per person. Subsequent entries will be disqualified.
Team entries and entries on behalf of entities are void. All entries must be received by the deadline period. Entries are void if they are in whole or part illegible, incomplete, damaged, counterfeit, obtained through fraud, or late.
All entries will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the account used to submit the Photographs at the time of entry, and the potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder for that account.
Contestants are advised to follow Google+ content policy when sharing your photos.
Application Deadline: 31 January 2012
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Contest Information and Application
Related: List of Contest for International Students