Course(s) Offered: Science (Incl. Medicine), Engineering
Course Level: Undergraduate (bachelors)
Provider: SAWISE; The Hope Network
Country to Study in: South Africa
The Association of South African Women in Science and Engineering (SAWISE) and The Hope Network invites female students entering their Honours level /4th year of study to apply for the SAWISE Hope scholarship.
The Association of South African Women in Science and Engineering (SA WISE) is a dynamic association for all those who support the idea of strengthening the role of women in science and engineering in South Africa.
Criteria to be met:
- Female students entering their Honours degree/4th year of study with an academic average of over 65%, pursuing study in the areas of science and engineering (medical fields included).
- Candidates must exhibit outstanding personal qualities and a strong desire to make a contribution to their respective fields and to society at large.
- Candidates must be South African. Preference will be given to a candidate experiencing financial difficulty or distress.
The foundation is looking for an ambitious, conscientious young lady with the determination to go after what she wants; a young woman with the potential to make a contribution to her field and of course, to society in general.
- A certain level of academic performance to be maintained by the recipient.
- Brief academic progress reports from the scholarship winner on a quarterly basis.
- Involvement in at least one society that would help improve the recipient’s leadership skills, and consequently add positively to her CV.
- The young woman in question to participate in mentorship activities.
- The winners will be strongly encouraged to be involved in the Hope Scholarship scheme (as well as the 'Hope network') upon completion of her studies.
Female citizens of South Africa
The scholarship is tenable at any of the following universities:
- University of Cape Town
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Kwazulu-Natal
- University of Pretoria
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of the Witwatersrand,
- University of the Western Cape
Engineering, Sciences and/or related field (Medical included)
Number of awards
Not specified by provider
The scholarship is for one year full time study.
Recipient will receive R10 000.
Mentorship: The scholarship founding group will serve as mentors to the recipient over the course of her Honours year /4th year of study.
The recipient will be assigned special industry-specific mentors that align with her field of study. The recipient will have the opportunity to interact with the founding network of professional women through her invitation to, and participation in, Hope Network and SAWISE events.
Method of Application
Interested? Submit a covering letter of motivation, a detailed CV (including the contact details of two academic referees), a certified copy of all university results to date, and a certified ID copy.
Ensure that a working email address is provided with your CV. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. All applications to be sent to the address listed below.
The SAWISE Hope Scholarship,
P.O. Box 34085,
Cape Town, 7707
You may visit the official Hope Network website here.
Applications for the SAWISE Hope Scholarship are welcomed each year from 1 October until 30 November. NOTE: NEW CLOSING DATE FOR 2014 AWARDS - 15 NOVEMBER, 2013.
The Hope Scholarship is for Honours/4th year level young women, preferably in the sciences and/or related field (medical included). Preference will be given to a candidate experiencing financial difficulty or distress.
For enquiries email: email@example.com
Founded in 2010, The Hope Network is a network of women in the field of science who would like to inspire other young women to succeed in this field.
Application Deadline: 15 November 2013
Open to International students: No (ONLY South Africans)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Women Scholarships for African Females