Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: New Zealand Government
Country to Study in: New Zealand
The Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) is an international programme under which member governments offer scholarships and fellowships to citizens of other Commonwealth countries.
The CSFP was established at the first Commonwealth education conference in 1959 and is reviewed by education ministers at their triennial meetings – the only scholarship scheme in the world to receive such high-level recognition.
As part of the programme New Zealand offers Commonwealth Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study.
Scholarships are for post-graduate study in New Zealand, available to candidates from Commonwealth countries on a contestable basis
Eligible Countries include:
- Africa: Botswana, Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa*, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
- Americas: Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago
- Asia: Bangladesh, India, Malaysia, Maldives, Sri Lanka,
- Pacific: Cook Islands, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu
Commonwealth Scholarships awardees can only study at these New Zealand universities:
- Auckland University of Technology
- Lincoln University
- Massey University
- University of Auckland
- University of Canterbury
- University of Otago
- Victoria University of Wellington
- University of Waikato
All applications for Commonwealth Scholarships or Fellowships should be made via the Commonwealth Electronic Application System (EAS).
The deadline date for expression of interest is 30th April, 2013. The deadline date for most universities application is between 1 May to 1 June 2013. Generally, no later than 21st December every year
Each Commonwealth government has designated a national agency for the operation of Commonwealth Scholarships. Please contact the national agency in your home country for more information about applying for a Commonwealth Scholarship in another Commonwealth country.
Please note, however, that not all national agencies will be invited to nominate candidates for all Commonwealth Scholarships offered.
Application Deadline: 30 April / 1 June 2013
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries.