Course(s) Offered: Several fields
Course Level: Undergraduate (bachelors); Postgraduate (masters)
Provider: Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund
Country to Study in: Netherlands
Each year, the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship offers a number of highly talented prospective students, from non-EU/EEA countries, the opportunity to pursue a degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University.
The funds for the scholarships come from the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, established by Utrecht University and from contributions by Utrecht University alumni.
The scholarship programme is highly selective. Only candidates showing the highest achievement and promise may receive a scholarship. Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year will open in November 2016.
The applicant must meet the eligibility criteria in order to be considered for this scholarship. The applicant should:
- Not have the Dutch or an EU/EEA nationality;
- Hold a non-Dutch secondary school diploma;
- Have been admitted to an International Master’s programme within one of the Graduate Schools mentioned above, the Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business Economics or to University College Utrecht;
- Hold a relevant Bachelor’s degree (for a Master’s programme) or secondary school diploma (for a Bachelor’s programme), or an equivalent thereof;
- Be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa;
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- Their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field of study;
- The academic quality and results of the preceding education, as evidenced, for example, by grades, test scores, publications, letters of recommendation;
- The quality and relevance of the motivation letter (academic content, intercultural and communication skills, personal motivation);
- The quality and feasibility of the financial plan in the application;
- The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT EU/EEA)
Utrecht University; The Netherlands
Fields of study
International Bachelor’s programmes:
- Economics and Business Economics
- Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht
- Graduate School of Geosciences
- Graduate School of Humanities
- Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance
- Graduate School of Life Sciences
- Graduate School of Natural Sciences
- Graduate School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Number of awards
Total of about 55 grants are awarded each year for undergraduate and graduate studies. 20-25 graduate scholarships are available for 2017-2018, divided over the 6 Graduate Schools
Selected students receive a scholarship for the duration of the degree programme, which is a maximum of two years for a Master's degree and three years for a Bachelor’s degree. The scholarship will only be renewed for the second (and third) year if the student is making satisfactory progress towards the degree.
Selected students are awarded a scholarship that covers the maximum tuition fee and €11 000 living expenses per year. However, students should be aware that the grant is not necessarily a full scholarship, and that it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance study and stay completely.
As one of the requirements for being granted a residence permit in the Netherlands, students from abroad must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office) that they have sufficient financial means.
Method of Application
You are to apply to the program of study of your interest to be considered for this award; however it is NOT possible for you to apply directly to the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship. The selection committee of the programme will review the application files for possible nominees, and select eligible candidates on the basis of the selection criteria mentioned above. The selected candidates will be offered an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship at the latest in May.
Please note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships. To apply for admission into the school, click here.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete and detailed information.
Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year will open in November 2016.
Prospective Bachelor's students in Economics and Business Economics who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before April 1 every year. Different procedures apply for Liberal Arts & Sciences. See official website for more.
Prospective Master's students who wish to be considered for the scholarship must apply before February 1. Your application for a scholarship will only be processed if you have submitted an application for a Master’s programme as well. Please note that in some cases you may need to apply before December 1; check the ‘When to apply’ section under Admission and application of your master’s programme.
The selected candidates will be offered a Utrecht Excellence Scholarship in May of the academic year.
Application Deadline: 1 December 2016 || 1 February / 1 April 2017
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application(Bachelors Information)
More Scholarship Information and Application(Masters Information)
Related: List of Scholarships in Netherlands for International Students