Courses Offered: Agriculture and related fields
Course Level: Postgraduate (Masters)
Provider: EU Erasmus Mundus
Country to Study in: Any European Country
The topic of sustainable tropical forestry is of global importance. This two-year Master’s course in Sustainable Tropical Forestry (SUTROFOR) is a world-class programme with the objective of preparing qualified graduates to deal with the complex aspects of contemporary tropical forestry. The programme provides the students with:
- a firm theoretical foundation
- ability to function on the international scene, and openness to foreign cultures
- all competencies needed for working as a researcher or in tropical forest practices, e.g. development agencies, consultancies, NGOs, international organisations, ministries, governmental agencies, or district forest offices.
Eligibility (Admission Criteria)
The SUTROFOR Consortium has developed a common set of admission criteria as well as joint application procedures. The SUTROFOR Commission carries out the selection of students, where all partner universities are represented.
- A good first university degree
- High proficiency in English
- Strong personal statement of motivation
- Good recommendations from two references, of which at least one is academic CV
The SUTROFOR Masters Course is open to all non-EU and EU students.
Category A Scholarships (Third-country nationals): These scholarships can be awarded to masters students from all countries other than the 27 EU menber states and EEA/EFTA states: Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway. Furthermore, you must comply with the 12 months rule: You must not be a resident nor have carried out main activity (studies, work etc.) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of these countries.
Category B Scholarships (European nationals): These scholarships can be awarded to any masters students who do not fullfil the criteria A defined above, i.e nationality requirement and 12 months rule.
The two-year Masters Course builds on the expertise of five European universities:
- University of Copenhagen, Centre for Forest, Landscape and Planning, Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Bangor University, School of the Environment and Natural Resources, Bangor, (UK)
- Dresden University of Technology, Institute of International Forestry and Forest Products, (Germany)
- Institute of Technology for Life, Food and Environmental Sciences - AgroParisTech, Montpellier (France)
- University of Padova, Faculty of Agriculture, Padova, (Italy)
Fields of study:
In the below table you can see what degrees you will obtain at the different Consortium Universities.
MSc in Forests and Livelihoods
MSc in Sustainable Tropical Forestry
MSc in Tropical Forestry
MSc in Agricultural Sciences,
specialisation Environmental Management of Ecosystems and Tropical Forests
MSc in Forestry and Environmental Sciences
Number of awards
Every year approximately 17-20 EU scholarships are available.
Category A Scholarships for Third-country nationals: Total 48,000 EUR
Category B Scholarships for European nationals: Total 20,000 EUR
Method of Application
All applications must be submitted before the applicable deadline dates. For further information, please see the application pages for Category A and B students and Non-EU scholars.
SUTROFOR still has scholarships available for applicants from EU/EEA countries, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey and Western Balkan. Application form is available here.
Application deadline for applicants from EU/EEA countries, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey and Western Balkan: 15 January 2012.
For all other students: EU students is 15 August 2011 (annually), while Non-EU students is 1 December 2011 (annually). Course for everyone starts September 2012
You can only submit a total of three Erasmus Mundus applications for each application round counting both Master and PhD applications. In the eventual case that a student applies to more than three Erasmus Mundus programmes he/she will be excluded from the selection for an Erasmus Mundus Scholarship.
Erasmus Mundus Secretariat, SUTROFOR@life.ku.dk
Application Deadline: 15 August / 1 December 2011 || 15 January 2012
Open to International Students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Europe for International Students