Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Undergraduate, Graduate
Country to Study in: Canada
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) offers the Mayor Andrée P. Boucher Memorial Scholarship for female students who are enrolled in a Canadian college or university.
Since 2006, a Federation of Canadian Municipalities scholarship has been presented to a female college or university student deemed to have submitted the best research paper on a topic related to women in politics. In June 2008, the scholarship was renamed the Mayor Andrée Boucher Memorial Scholarship, in honour of the late mayor of Quebec City.
The purpose of this scholarship is to encourage women to consider entering public office. The Mayor Andrée P. Boucher Memorial Scholarship is awarded annually, and the 2017/18 call is open until end of January.
- The scholarship is open only to women students who are enrolled in a Canadian college or university
- The student can be in any year of study as an undergraduate or graduate student.
- Applicants should be considering making a contribution to/or entering the political realm.
For females ONLY
Any Canadian college or university
Fields of study
Any discipline, topic and/or field relating to women in politics
Number of awards
FCM will award two (2) scholarships -- one (1) scholarship to a student at the college /university undergraduate level, and one (1) scholarship at the university graduate level
This will be a onetime award
Each award will be $4,500 and will be presented in the winner's municipality
Method of Application
To submit your application, follow the steps below:
- In a cover letter, tell FCM how you have been involved in campus or community activities related to women’s issues.
- Submit a research paper you presented on issues related to women in politics, in any order of government.
- You must demonstrate how your area of study impacts on getting women involved in all orders of government.
- Special consideration will be given if there is a focus on municipal government.
- The research essay must be a minimum of 1,000 words.
- Applications will be kept on file and considered for up to three years, depending on eligibility.
Please send your submissions to:
Program Officer, Women in Local Government
Standing Committee on Increasing Women’s Participation in Municipal Government
By mail: 24 Clarence Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 5P3
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on this scholarship
The application period is open until January 31, 2017
In 2010, FCM launched the FCM Awards of Excellence to recognize and celebrate excellence in municipal leadership and practice, both in Canada and abroad. Award categories range from innovation in sustainable practices to involvement in international municipal cooperation.
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM, (French - Fédération canadienne des municipalités) is an advocacy group representing over 2000 Canadian municipalities. It is an organization with no formal power but significant ability to influence debate and policy, as it is a main national lobby group of mayors, councillors and other elected municipal officials. It negotiates with the Government of Canada's departments and agencies on behalf of municipalities, and administers a number of funds.
Application Deadline: 31 January 2017
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Internships for International Students