Course(s) Offered: All fields
Course Level: Graduate (masters)
Provider: Government of Flanders
Country to Study in: Belgium
In 2015, the Government of Flanders (Belgium) launched a new scholarship program, Master Mind Scholarships targeted at outstanding Master students from all countries of the world.
The Master Mind Scholarship program aims to promote the internationalization of the Flemish Higher Education, as stated in the Action Plan for Student Mobility, Brains on the Move (September 2013).
The Government of Flanders announces the MasterMind Scholarships for the academic year 2017-2018, wherein it will award up to 45 scholarships to outstanding Master students from all countries. Eligible students are hereby encouraged to apply for this scholarship programme.
General eligibility requirements
- The applicant applies to take up a Master degree programme at a higher education institution in Flanders (hereafter ‘Flemish host institution’).
- The applicant should have a high standard of academic performance and/or potential. He/she meets all academic entrance criteria, including relevant language requirements, for entering the Master programme in question offered by the Flemish host institution.
- All nationalities can apply. The previous degree obtained should be from a higher education institution located outside Flanders.
- Students who are already enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution cannot apply.
Citizens of ALL countries
Approved Flemish Institutions of higher education (Universities and University colleges) as outlined below:
- KU Leuven / University of Leuven: Hilde Nijs - firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Antwerp: International Relations Office - email@example.com -
- Ghent University: Charlotte Moulin - charlotte.moulin@Ugent.be
- Hasselt University: Liesbeth Oeyen - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel: International Relations - email@example.com
- Antwerp Maritime Academy: Willem Bruyndonx - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Artesis Plantijn University College Antwerp: Annelies Verstraeten - email@example.com
- Erasmus University College Brussels: Annelore Schittecatte - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karel de Grote University College: An Masschelin (study) - email@example.com / Charlotte Maeyens (internship) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- LUCA School of Arts: Wim Aerts - email@example.com
- University College Ghent: Inez Adriaensen - firstname.lastname@example.org
Fields of study
The program holds for all study areas. Any subject of study may be applied for.
Number of awards
It awards up to 45 scholarships every year.
There are a number of scholarships reserved for students from certain countries: Japan (3), Mexico (3), USA (5). If these numbers of scholarships are not taken up, they will be distributed among the other candidates.
The duration of mobility is minimum 1 academic year and maximum the full duration of the master programme. Thus, the awards may be applied throughout the duration of the students program
If the student obtains less than 45 ECTS in the first year, then he/she loses the scholarship in the second year.
The incoming student is awarded a scholarship of maximum €7,500 per academic year. The Flemish host institution can ask the applicant for a tuition fee of maximum €105 per year, which equals the rate of the yearly tuition fee for a student from an underprivileged group.
Method of Application
Students cannot apply directly. Applications need to be submitted through the Flemish host institution. The Flemish host institution then applies on behalf of the student.
The Flemish Host Institution submits the application on behalf of the student. The host university or host university college also performs an academic check of the student’s file. If a scholarship is awarded to a student, the scholarship can be cancelled if the student is not accepted by the host university/university college on basis of academic grounds.
It is important to read the current 2017/2018 Guidelines for Master Mind Scholarships, and also to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information and to download the scholarship Application Form of the 2017-2018 scholarship call.
Launch of call for this scholarship is in early December. Deadline for both scholarship application and nomination by the higher education institutions is 30th April 2017. However, you need to contact the Flemish higher education institution to inquire about their internal selection procedures and deadline for submitting the application.
Beware of internal deadlines set by the Flemish Host Institution.
The Flemish Government is the executive branch of the Flemish Community and the Flemish Region of Belgium. Flanders is the Dutch-speaking northern portion of Belgium, although there are several overlapping definitions, including ones related to culture, language, politics and history. The official capital of Flanders is Brussels, although Brussels itself has an independent regional government, and the government of Flanders only oversees some cultural aspects of Brussels life.
Application Deadline: 30 April 2017
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Belgium for International Students