Course(s) Offered: Art (creative writing)
Course Level: Award, Residency
Provider: Sylt Foundation
Country to Study in: Germany
It's that time again. This is the 2014 Call for Applications for Residency: African Literary Writers.
The Sylt Foundation hereby call on writers of contemporary African literature to apply for the two month African Writer’s Residency Award.
The African Writer’s Residency offers an Award of a two month residency to writers of contemporary African literature, who are related to or engaging with contemporary themes and concerns of Africa and the African Diaspora.
The Award is open to published writers of poetry, prose, plays and novels.
Writers should be of contemporary African literature, who are related to or engaging with contemporary themes and concerns of Africa and the African Diaspora.
All writers of African literature - citizens of ANY African country
Art Source South Africa
Fields of study
The contemporary African writer who wins this Award is expected to work on or complete the writing project they proposed in their application. The residency aims to provide an opportunity to develop the ideas and do research related to this project.
Number of awards
One residency is awarded each year to one winning applicant
A two month residency is awarded to winners
The winning applicant will take up this exciting opportunity to enjoy creative writing time at the Foundation Kunst. The Foundation is located on the island of Sylt, off the coast of Hamburg, Germany.
This period will provide the writer with:
- an opportunity to focus on or complete a project in progress
- a quiet space suitable for contemplation and research
- an uninterrupted period for writing
- a means to leverage their artistic profile
- an opportunity to engage with other international writers and artists
A period of quiet uninterrupted time to focus on exploring ideas is critical to this process which is a challenge when balancing the pressures of everyday life.
Method of Application
Writers of African literature are invited to submit:
- a project proposal of the project they wish to work on while in residence
- it can be a current or proposed literary project
- a synopsis of the novel, short story or poetry project
- Copy of a valid passport conforming to Schengen visa requirements
- Full Curriculum Vitae
- Writer’s Profile in English – 500 words
- Two (2) Letters of Reference in English from literary professionals, publishers or academics
- one published book
- a volume of poetry
- a (publicly staged) play with information as to where and on what date it was staged
The copyright of all published material will be respected by the Foundation so digital copies of published books may be submitted and will be handled with due care. Material submitted will not be returned to the applicant.
It is important to visit the official webpage via link provided below for detailed information.
Deadline for application submission is 4pm Friday 21 February 2014
Key Dates For the 2014 African Writer’s Residency:
- Announcement and notification of 5 shortlisted finalists 1 April 2014
- Announcement of Residency Award Winner 30 April 2014
- Residency to be taken up from June 2014 – November 2015
Art Source South Africa has been appointed Organisers of the Award and manages this residency programme. The Organisers do not vote and have no influence on the selection and judging process.
Art Source South Africa is a consultancy with a broad range of clients and projects. We work within the contemporary visual arts and cultural development sectors in South Africa. We engage in activities that promote visual art and cultural development.
Submit e-mail entries and direct enquiries to:
Enquiries: ++ 27 (0) 11 447 2855 (Monday - Friday 9-4pm)
Application Deadline: 21 February 2014
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY African writers)
More Scholarship Information and Application (official Facebook page)
More Scholarship Information and Application (official Webpage)
Related: Scholarships in Germany for International Students