Course(s) Offered: Development related
Course Level: Training pogram
Provider: Coady International Institute
Country to Study in: Canada
The Global Change Leaders Program is a seven-week education program offered by Coady Institute’s International Centre for Women’s Leadership.
This program enables women from developing countries to strengthen their leadership capacities in order to contribute to innovation and change in their organizations and communities.
In operation since 2011, the Global Change Leaders program provides successful candidates with full scholarship to support their learning throughout their stay at the Institute. Program participants also benefit from the guidance and mentorship of accomplished women leaders from around the world.
The program is led by a core team of Coady International Institute staff and supported by other Coady faculty and associates.
This program is targeted to emerging women leaders from developing countries who are working on development issues. These are women who:
- Possess a minimum of four years of demonstrated leadership experience in a social or economic development endeavour in sectors such as livelihoods or inclusive economic development, food security, environment, access to education and health care, governance, and the rights of girls and women;
- Have great drive and passion for their work, demonstrated through their outstanding contributions in their organizations and communities;
- Are practitioners in civil society organizations including community based organizations and not for profits, or active in public or private institutions, donor/philanthropic agencies, social movements or in a social enterprise/business;
- Hold a university degree or a combination of post-secondary education and experience; and
- Have strong oral and written English language competencies.
Citizens of ANY developing country
Coady Institute’s International Centre for Women’s Leadership, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada
Fields of study
Program participants engage in learning grounded in real world experiences and focused on Coady’s core thematic areas.
Through a shared learning environment with other emerging women leaders from around the world, participants are exposed to a range of experiences and the beginnings of a potentially lifelong network of support.
Number of awards
Not specified by sponsor
This is a 7-week program
Successful candidates are provided with a FULL scholarship that includes tuition, travel, accommodations, and meals. Program participants also benefit from the guidance and mentorship of accomplished women leaders from around the world.
Method of Application
Applications will only be accepted electronically using the online form found on the official website (link to it is below).
In the online form, applicants are asked to provide the names, contact details and the email addresses for two persons who can provide a recommendation for them.
The people named as references will receive an email from Coady’s International Centre for Women’s Leadership with a link to reference form that they can complete online. Your references will also receive an email once their form has been successfully submitted.
Applicants should ensure that they have notified their referees prior to submitting their application. Applications which do not have two references will not be reviewed.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete details on how to apply for this program.
The online application for the 2015 program is now open and will close on Friday January 9, 2015 at 11:59 EST.
Please read the frequently asked questions section for this program under "How to Apply".
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by February 28, 2015 for a Skype interview. A final decision on the 2015 cohort will be made by the end of March to allow time for visas to Canada to be acquired by the participants.
For 2015, the Global Change Leaders Program consists of two main components:
- August 24 - October 8, 2015: A seven week on-site intensive course at the Coady International Institute in Antigonish, Nova Scotia where a collaborative relationship is fostered among facilitators and participants to draw out lessons and insights from their rich and diverse experiences.
- October 12, 2015 - April 30, 2016: Participants will benefit from one-on-one mentoring from experienced women leaders upon their return home for up to six months to follow on the application of learning into practice. Mentors and mentees will be matched during the residency period based on specific needs and geographic locations. Participants will also join a global alumni network of women leaders.
Established by St. Francis Xavier University in 1959, the Coady International Institute is a world-renowned centre of excellence in community-based development and leadership education.
In collaboration with partners in Canada and the global south, the Institute is committed to reduce poverty and transforming societies by strengthening local economies, by building resilient communities, and by promoting social accountability and good governance.
Application Deadline: 9 January 2015
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top Scholarships in Canada for International Students