Course(s) Offered: Approved fields
Course Level: Undergraduate, Graduate (Masters, PhD)
Provider: Petroleum Technology Development Fund
Country to Study in: Nigeria, Europe (UK, France)
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF), a parastatal of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, has a mission to train Nigerians to qualify as graduates, professionals, technicians and craftsmen in the field of engineering, geology, science and management in the oil and gas industry in Nigeria or abroad.
PTDF has a vision to serve not only as a vessel for the development of indigenous manpower and technology transfer/acquisition in the petroleum industry but also to make Nigeria a human resource centre for the West African sub-region.
To ensure a steadfast implementation of this mandate, PTDF is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for Overseas Masters (MSc) and PhD Scholarships. Scholarships will be awarded for studies in the 2013/2014 academic session in the United Kingdom and France (Grenoble INP) and upgraded Universities in Nigeria for the 2013/2014 session. However, the Undergraduate level will be awarded for studies in Nigeria only on subject areas listed below.
Undergraduate (Nigeria Only)
- Possession of 5 credits in WAEC/SSCE/NECO including English Language and Mathematics
- Must have concluded the 1st year of their study in any of the PTDF upgraded Federal Universities listed below.
- Must have scored a minimum CGPA of 3.0 on scale of 5 or 4.5 on a scale of 7 in their 1st Year.
- Must scan and attach a copy of their admission letter
- Students admitted into the University through Direct Entry i.e. 200 level must have either of the following:
- Minimum of Upper Credit at the Diploma level
- Minimum of 10 points in interim Joint Matriculation Board (I.J.M.B) examination.
- Minimum of 8 points at the Advanced Level General Certificate of Education (G.C.E).
- A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience
- National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate
- Applicants must be computer literate
- Possession of O/level with Credit in English Language in WAEC/SSCE (C6) or NECO (C4);
- Applicants must not be above 30 years of age
- Test of English language as a foreign language (TOEFL)
- G.R.E ( Graduate Record Examination)
- GMAT – for Management related courses
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Applicants must be in the academics in Nigerian institutions, teaching an oil and gas related discipline;
- Applicants must possess minimum of 2.2 in their first degree and a good second degree certificate;
- Applicants must submit a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (of not more than 5 pages) to include: Topic, introduction, objective, methodology and mode of data collection;
- Applicants must include a valid admission letter;
- Applicants must not be over 40 years of age; and;
- Applicants must include their masters degree project
List of Approved Nigerian Universities:
- African University of Science and Technology – Petroleum Engineering
- Institute of Petroleum Studies, Port Harcourt
- University of Port Harcourt- Gas Eng
- University of Ibadan- Petroleum Eng
- University of Nigeria Nsukka- Geology
- University of Benin- Chemical Engineering
- University of Jos- Mining & Geology
- University of Maiduguri - Geology
- Ahmadu Bello University – Chemical Eng
- Usman Dan Fodio University – Industrial Chemistry
- University of Uyo – Chemical & Petroleum Eng
- Bayero University Kano – Electrical Eng
List of Approved Courses for Sponsorship:
Scholarships will be offered for admission into the under listed courses (for overseas MSc). Candidates are advised, to apply for admission into Universities in the UK and France that offer these courses, while applying for the Petroleum Technology Development Fund Scholarship.
- Asset Management (Engineering Asset Management)
- Basin Evolution and Dynamics
- Diving and Underwater Technology
- Energy Systems Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Remote Sensing
- Fire & Explosion Engineering
- Health Safety and Environment
- Marine Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Maritime Operations
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Offshore and Ocean Technology
- Offshore Engineering
- Pipeline Engineering
- Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
- Refinery Design and Operations
- Subsea Engineering
- Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Option)
- Welding Engineering
- Design of Rotating Machines
- Control Systems
- Hydraulic Engineering (France)
- Fluid Mechanics and Energetics (France)
The PhD research areas in addition to the afore-listed MSc program areas may also include any of the following related areas:
- Environmental Studies and HSE (Health, Safety and Environment).
- Marginal Fields Development.
- Flow Assurance and Pipeline Engineering.
- Geology and Petroleum Geology.
- Civil and Marine Engineering.
- Renewable Energy.
- Reservoir Engineering/Production Technology.
- Refining Technology.
- Ship Building & Marine Technology.
Application Forms can be accessed online at APPLICATION WEBSITE using an ATM card or through purchase of a scratch card from designated main branches of First Bank of Nigeria Plc in all the States and FCT, upon payment of a NON-REFUNDABLE sum of N1,000 (One Thousand Naira Only). Instructions on how to access the form online is clearly stated on the backside of the cards.
DOCUMENTS TO SCAN AND ATTACH TO THE APPLICATION FORM:
Applicants are advised to scan copies of the following documents and attach to their online application forms:
- First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result
- NYSC discharge certificate
- WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO Results or provide PIN numbers on the application forms to enable PTDF view the results on the relevant website.
- Recent Passport Photograph
- Local Government Identification Letter
- Master’s Degree Certificate (PhD Applicants only)
- Admission Letter (PhD Applicants)
Application will open between 2nd October, 2013 and 23rd October, 2013 for 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 applicants.
Applicants may please note that only those who meet the eligibility requirements above shall be shortlisted and invited for Electronic Aptitude Test, in the case of Master’s, while oral interview will be conducted for PhD (full time) on dates to be announced later. Following the aptitude tests and interview, the best qualified candidates will be selected and awarded the PTDF Scholarship.
PTDF however wishes to inform applicants that the Overseas Scholarship Scheme was instituted as a short term measure to address identified skills gaps, pending the outcome of the various capacity building efforts being made to enable our domestic universities effectively handle the onerous task of grooming qualitative professionals in the oil and gas related disciplines. With the numerous upgrade programmes executed by the Fund in some Federal Universities in Nigeria, emphasis has shifted to training Nigerians in-country. Consequently, only a limited number of candidates will be sponsored overseas and the rest in Nigerian Universities listed above.
Please note that Undergraduate applicants must be in their 2nd Year in any of the listed Nigerian Universities, while the possession of a Valid University Admission Letter is compulsory for all Phd Applicants.
Recipients of a similar scholarship Need Not apply
Applicants who already possess a Master’s Degree should Not Apply for MSC programme, but are qualified to apply for the PhD.
Petroleum Technology Development Fund
Plot 672, Port Harcourt Crescent, off Gimbiya Street, off Ahmadu Bello Way,
Area 11, Garki, Abuja.
Application Deadline: 23 October 2013
Open to International Applicants: No (only Nigerians)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: PTDF Scholarships for the Split PhD Program