PTDF Scholarships for Nigerians
Course(s) Offered: Approved fields
Course Level: Undergraduate, Graduate (Masters, PhD)
Provider: Petroleum Technology Development Fund
Country to Study in: Nigeria, Europe (UK, Germany, France), Brazil, USA
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) offers the PTDF Scholarships scheme for Undergraduate, Masters and PhD students to study in Nigeria and Overseas.
The PTDF aims to train Nigerians to qualify as graduates, professionals, technicians and craftsmen in the field of engineering, geology, science and management in the oil and gas industry in Nigeria or abroad. PTDF has a vision to serve not only as a vessel for the development of indigenous manpower and technology transfer/acquisition in the petroleum industry but also to make Nigeria a human resource centre for the West African sub-region.
To ensure a steadfast implementation of this mandate, PTDF scholarships is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for Overseas and in-Country MSc and PhD Scholarships. Awards will be granted for studies in the 2017/2018 academic session in the United Kingdom, Germany, Brazil, France (Grenoble INP), USA as well as PTDF upgraded Universities in Nigeria. However, the Undergraduate level will be awarded for studies in Nigeria only on subject areas listed below.
Students interested in the PTDF scholarships must fulfill the following:
A). Undergraduate (Nigeria Only)
- Possession of 5 credits in WAEC/SSCE/NECO including English Language and Mathematics
- Must have concluded the 1st year of their study in any of the PTDF upgraded Federal Universities listed below.
- Must have scored a minimum CGPA of 3.0 on scale of 5 or 4.5 on a scale of 7 in their 1st Year.
- Must scan and attach a copy of their admission letter
- Students admitted into the University through Direct Entry i.e. 200 level must have either of the following:
- Minimum of Upper Credit at the Diploma level
- Minimum of 10 points in interim Joint Matriculation Board (I.J.M.B) examination.
- Minimum of 8 points at the Advanced Level General Certificate of Education (G.C.E).
- A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience
- National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate.
- Applicants must be computer literate.
- Possession of O/level with Credit in English Language; At least C6 in WAEC/SSCE or C4 and above in NECO.
- Applicants must not be above 30 years of age.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (USA).
- G.R.E (Graduate Record Examination) (USA).
- GMAT – for Management related courses (USA).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (UK).
- A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience;
- National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate;
- Applicants must be computer literate;
- Possession of O/level with Credit in English Language; (At least C6 in WAEC/SSCE or C4 and above in NECO); and
- Employment in the academics in reputable Nigerian Institution, teaching oil and gas related disciplines;
- A minimum of 2.2 in their first degree and a minimum of merit as a second degree certificate in an oil and gas related discipline;
- Submit a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (of not more than 5 pages) to include: Topic, introduction, objective, methodology relevance to the industry and mode of data collection;
- Possess a valid admission letter; and
- Must not be over 40 years of age
For information on the Split-Site PhD Programme, please click here.
Selected Universities abroad (in the UK, Germany, Brazil, France and the United States); AND
All Nigerian Federal Universities and Centres of Excellence offering relevant courses
Fields of study
Scholarships will be offered for admission into approved courses (for overseas MSc). Candidates are advised, to apply for admission into Universities in the UK, Germany, Brazil, France and the United States that offer those courses, while applying for the PTDF Scholarship. Please see official website (link to it is below) for list of approved courses for overseas MSc.
The Local Scholarship Scheme applicants can apply to all Federal Universities and Centres of Excellence in courses relevant to the Oil & Gas Industry.
The PhD research areas in addition to the afore-mentioned approved MSc program areas may also include any of several related areas. Please see official website (link to it is below) for more.
Covers whole duration of study. However, duration of the PhD award is limited to a maximum of thirty-six (36) months ONLY
This is a FULL scholarship
Method of Application
Application Forms can be accessed online at the APPLICATION WEBSITE using an ATM (Interswitch, Master & Visa) card or through purchase of a scratch card from designated main branches of First Bank of Nigeria Plc in all the 36 States and FCT, upon payment of a NON-REFUNDABLE sum of N1,000 (One Thousand Naira Only). Instructions on how to access the form online is clearly stated on the backside of the cards.
DOCUMENTS TO SCAN AND ATTACH TO THE APPLICATION FORM:
Applicants are advised to scan copies of the following documents and attach to their online application forms:
- First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result
- NYSC discharge certificate
- WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO Results
- Two Recent Passport Photographs
- Local Government Identification Letter
- Master’s Degree Certificate (PhD Applicants only)
- Admission Letter (PhD Applicants)
Applications opened on 1st November 2016. The closing date for all applications is 31st December 2016
POSSESSION OF A VALID UNIVERSITY ADMISSION LETTER IS COMPULSORY FOR LSS (UNDERGRADUATES, MSC & PHD) APPLICANTS TO THE PTDF SCHOLARSHIPS.
Applicants may please note that only those who meet the eligibility requirements above shall be shortlisted and invited for a Computer Based Aptitude Test, in the case of Master’s, while oral interview will be conducted for PhD applicants (full time and Split-site) on dates to be announced later. Following the aptitude tests and interview, the best qualified candidates will be selected and awarded the PTDF Scholarship.
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is a parastatal of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources established by Decree 25 of 1973 for the purpose of developing and promoting petroleum technology and for creating the manpower needs of the oil and gas industry through research and training of Nigerians.
Application Deadline: 31 December 2016
Open to International Applicants: No (only Nigerians)
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: PTDF Scholarships for the Split PhD Program