Course(s) Offered: All courses
Course Level: Postgraduate (masters, PhD, Postdoctoral)
Provider: Malaysian Government
Country to Study in: Malaysia
The Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS) is an initiative by the Malaysian Government (via the Ministry of Higher Education) to attract the best brain from around the world to pursue advanced academic studies in Malaysia.
This scholarship aims to support Malaysian Government’s effort to attract, motivate and retain talented human capital from abroad. Talented international students with excellent academic records and outstanding co-curricular backgrounds are welcomed to apply for this scholarship and further their studies in any selected and well-established Malaysian public and/or private universities.
This scholarship is divided into two (2) categories of study: Postgraduate and Post-doctoral Studies
To be eligible for the Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS), applicants must fit the following criteria:-
- Not be more than 40 years (postgraduate) and 45 years (postdoctoral) of age during application.
- Obtained a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 at Bachelor Degree Level for Masters Degree applicants and for PhD candidates must possess CGPA 3.5/4.0 or very good result at Masters degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study. In addition, for post-doctoral programme, the selection will be evaluated based on the number of books produced, refereed/non refereed journals, portfolio and patent copyright. The Post-Doctoral candidate must have excellent reputation in research and possesses knowledge related to the research to be carried out.
- Took one of the following English Language Proficiency Test not more than two years before the date of application. The list of tests and minimum scores required:
- IELTS Academic Test with a score of at least 6.5; or
- TOEFL paper-based test with a score of at least 580 or computer-based test with a score of at least 230 or internet-based test with a score at least 92.
- In excellent health condition and certified by a Certified Doctor/Medical Professional. The cost of medical examination is to be borne by the applicants
- Wrote a proposal that is relevant to the field of studies
- Has applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia (conditional letters of offer will be accepted at the time of application or has a confirmation of acceptance or affiliation with the universities in Malaysia).
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:-
- High-level academic achievement.
- The quality of the research proposal and it’s potential contribution towards advancement of technology and human well being.
- Excellent communication, writing and reading skills in English Language.
Citizens of ANY country may apply
Any of the accredited Malaysian public and/or private universities - please see the full list of schools on the official scholarship website (link to it is below)
Field(s) of study
Field of studies are in the following priority areas:
- Science and Engineering
- Agriculture and Fisheries
- Economics and Islamic Finance
- Information and Communication Technology
- Biosecurity and Food Safety
- Infrastructure and Utility
- Environmental Studies
- Health, EXCLUDING nursing, medicine, clinical pharmacy
Number of awards
Not specified, but several will be awarded
For the whole duration of the programme
Each scholarship consists of:-
- Air tickets from recipient’s capital city to Malaysia
- An approved tuition fees
- Monthly maintenance allowance
- Annual grant for books and internal travel
- Medical / Health Insurance
- Installation and Termination grant
- Thesis allowance
To apply, please ensure that you have already applied to and been accepted into any of the public or private universities in Malaysia.
All applications for scholarships are made ONLINE through the Ministry of Higher Education’s website; involving a 3-step process with registration of personal details and filling an online application form (Step 1), attaching printed application form with several requested documents (Step 2), and finally, submitting all documents after scanning them in pdf format.
It is important to visit the official site (link to it is below) for complete details and information on how to apply.
All applications for scholarships should be made ONLINE on or before 15th September, 2016
Late submission will not be entertained no matter what reasons are given. Applications without sufficient documents stated will not be considered. All documents must be valid for six (6) month from date of application i.e. Medical Report, Endorsement Form and Reference Letters.
The decision on successful candidate made by the Ministry is FINAL. Any queries on the final decision will not be entertained.
It is the responsibility of the scholarship holders to confirm admission to the university. It is the responsibility of successful candidates to apply for and meet the requirements for the issuing of an appropriate entry visa including medical examination. The offer of the scholarship does not guarantee the granting of a visa.
Scholarship holders must maintain satisfactory progress and good standing as stipulated by their host university and degree programme, or the scholarship will be withdrawn.
The Government of Malaysia reserves the rights to review the value of awards at anytime (and if such changes are made, the value of scholarship will be changed and the effective date will be informed to the successful candidates).
Application Deadline: 15 September 2016
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in Malaysia for International Students