Course(s) Offered: Science, Engineering
Course Level: Graduate (PhD)
Provider: A*STAR, NUS, and NTU
Country to Study in: Singapore
The Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA) scholarship supports PhD studies in the fields of Science and Engineering and is open to international students.
Students will be supervised by distinguished and world-renowned researchers in these labs. Upon successful completion, students will be conferred a PhD degree by either NUS or NTU.
SINGA is a collaboration between the Agency for Science, Technology & Research (A*STAR), the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) to offer PhD training to be carried out in English at your chosen lab at A*STAR Research Institutes, NUS or NTU.
The following apply:
- The scholarship is open to all international students
- Graduates with a passion for research and excellent academic results
- Good skills in written and spoken English
- Good reports from academic referees
Citizens of any nationality / country of the world
A*STAR Research Institutes;
National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore; AND
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Singapore.
Fields of study
PhD fields in Science and Engineering. Research areas under the PhD Program fall broadly under two categories:
- Biomedical Sciences and
- Engineering and Physical and Mathematical Sciences. Applicants can pursue a PhD degree in any field of study for which they can demonstrate interest and capability. The PhD projects under SINGA are research based, not clinically based.
A total of 240 scholarships will be given to students from all over the world
For the whole duration of the programme - the award covers a financial support for up to 4 years.
The scholarships are valued as:
- Attractive monthly stipend over 4 years of PhD studies, which can support you comfortably. The stipend amount is SGD 24,000 annually, to be increased to SGD 30,000 after passing Qualifying Examination.
- Full support for tuition fees for 4 years of PhD studies.
- One-time SGD 1,000 Settling-in Allowance
- One-time Airfare Grant of SGD 1,500
Applicants will first need to fill in an online application form and submit it through the SINGA website (link to it is below). In the past, applicants were required to send hard copies of supporting documents via post, but these can now be uploaded during the online application.
Ensure that the information you provide during registration for an account in the application portal is accurate, as the information will be used for verification upon your first log-in.
Ensure that you apply for the correct scholarship – “Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA)” – in the application portal after logging in.
Softcopies of the following supporting documents must be uploaded during your online application:
- Identity card or Passport
- A recent passport-sized photo in JPEG/PNG format
- University Academic Transcripts (in English translation)
- Degree Scrolls (in English translation) or a letter of certification from the university on your candidature if your degree scroll has not yet been conferred.
- GRE / IELTS / TOEFL / SAT I & II / GATE results
Please check and ensure that all data you have entered in the online application form is correct and accurate before you submit the application. Amendments to the application will NOT be possible after it is submitted.
The annual deadline date for the next January class intake is 1 June of the previous year, and that for the next August class intake is 1 of the same year.
The application deadline for January 2015 intake is 1 June 2014. Only applications with complete supporting documents submitted before or on 1 June 2014 (2359hrs GMT+8 SINGAPORE Time) will be processed.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified within 10 weeks from the application closing date.
|Estimated cost of living in Singapore:|
|Items||Per Student Per Month (SGD)|
- University Canteens
- Meals outside Campus
200 - 300
440 - 525
|Accommodation - per person based on twin sharing||300 - 600|
|Transport Expenses (local)||100 - 150|
|Other Expenses (stationery, toiletries, laundry, recreation, etc)||300 - 500|
|Total Estimated Cost of Living||1,100 - 1,700|
For enquiries, you may contact:
Tel: (65) 6826 6111;
Fax: (65) 6777 1711;
Or, the online contact form.
Application Deadline: 1 June 2014
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships in Singapore for International Students
Was above article useful? Please share: