Course(s) Offered: Any academic discipline
Course Level: Postgraduate (masters, doctoral, research)
Provider: The University of Adelaide
Country to Study in: Australia
The University of Adelaide offers a scholarships scheme, the Adelaide Scholarships International (ASI), for international students undertaking postgraduate research study for Master’s and Doctoral degrees.
The purpose of the financial award programme is to attract high quality overseas postgraduate students to areas of research strength in the University of Adelaide to support its research effort.
A number of ASI scholarships may be available in the mid year round of scholarships yearly to outstanding international students from any country undertaking postgraduate research in any academic discipline.
In order to be eligible applicants are required to have successfully completed at least the equivalent of an Australian First Class Honours degree (this is a four year degree with a major research project in the final year). All qualifying programs of study must be successfully completed.
Scholarships will be awarded on academic merit and research potential. Extra-curricular achievements are not considered.
International applicants must not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to an Australian Research Doctorate degree or, if undertaking a Research Masters degree, not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to or higher than an Australian Research Masters degree.
Conditions for ineligibility:
- International applicants who have not provided evidence of their meeting the minimum English language proficiency requirements for direct entry by the scholarship closing date, or who have completed a Pre-Enrolment English Program to meet the entry requirements for the intended program of study, are not eligible.
- Citizens and Permanent Residents of Australia, and citizens of New Zealand are ineligible.
- Those undertaking research via remote candidature are ineligible.
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT Australia and New Zealand)
The University of Adelaide, Australia
Field of Study
All masters and doctoral courses by research in any academic discipline offered at the university
Two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only)
The ASI provides:
- Course tuition fees for two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only),
- An annual living allowance ($25,849 in 2015) for two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only), and
- If the award holder holds a subclass 574 visa the award covers the cost of compulsory standard Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Worldcare policy for the student and their spouse and dependents (if any) for the period of the scholarship. If the award holder does not hold a subclass 574 visa then he/she is responsible for the cost of health insurance.
Method of Application
International applicants are not eligible if they have already commenced the degree for which they are seeking an award, unless they can establish that they were unable to apply in the previous round.
The University of Adelaide is unable to provide an assessment of eligibility for candidature and/or a scholarship until a formal application is submitted and assessed. We strongly recommend that all applicants submit their application and all required documents well before the closing date.
To apply please submit a formal application for Admission and a Scholarship via our online application system. There is no application fee.
The University strongly recommend that all applicants submit their application and all required documents well before the closing date. Late and incomplete applications at the scholarship application deadline will not be considered for a scholarship.
For Round 1, Semester 1, 2015 intake, the Last Day to Apply is 31 August 2014. For Round 2 Semester 1 or Semester 2 2015 intake, the Last Day to Apply is 15 January 2015. For Round 3 Semester 2, 2015 intake, the Last Day to Apply is 30 April 2015.
Candidates are required to enrol in the University of Adelaide as 'international students' and must maintain 'international student' status for the duration of their enrolment in the University.
Candidates who have applied for Australian permanent resident status can apply for ASI scholarships.
Scholarships holders must commence study at the University of Adelaide in the semester the scholarship is offered.
Applicants who applied and were eligible for consideration in an international scholarship round, and were unsuccessful, will automatically be reconsidered in the following international scholarship round, assuming they hold a valid offer of candidature for that intake. An applicant who has been considered in 2 rounds cannot be reconsidered in any future scholarship rounds.
The offer of a scholarship is contingent upon a student not being offered another award by the Commonwealth of Australia, the University of Adelaide, or an overseas sponsor. The University reserves the right to withdraw an offer of a scholarship at any time prior to enrolment if it is advised that an awardee has been offered a scholarship equal to or in excess of the financial value of the award offered by the University.
Application Deadline: 15 January / 30 April 2015
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: List of Scholarships in Australia for International Students
Was above article useful? Please share: