Course(s) Offered: Development-related
Course Level: Graduate (masters)
Provider: KOICA, Korea University
Country to Study in: South Korea
The Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) invites high-caliber students from developing countries to apply for the KOICA Scholarship so as to gain professional and systematic knowledge that will play a key role in their home country’s development.
With a mission to nurture talented students from developing countries, the KOICA accomplishes its goal by operating master’s degree courses with leading Korean universities in the fields of economics, trade, women’s empowerment, rural development, etc. KOICA here partners with the Korea University.
In particular, this KOICA Scholarship program has significantly strengthened the relationships between Korea and the students’ home countries. Students, who have been given an opportunity to see Korea’s experience in poverty reduction and socio-economic development, will gain a deeper understanding of Korea and contribute to the future social, political and economic ties between the two nations.
Eligible applicants are Government officials or researchers working in his/her home country with a Bachelor’s Degree or higher, and should:
- Be under the age of 40
- Be nominated by his/her Government
- Have sufficient command of spoken and written English;
- Be in good health, both physically and mentally, to undergo the course;
- Not have had experience in any of KOICA's training courses within the past three years in the same field.
Citizens of developing countries
Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS), Korea University, Korea
Fields of study
Any study that offers professional and systematic knowledge for international development is eligible. Includes fields of economics, trade, women’s empowerment, rural development, etc.
Number of awards
Twenty (20) awards are granted every year
Award covers duration of programme (usually 13 months)
KOICA and Korea University Graduate School of International Studies (KUGSIS) together provide full tuition coverage for twenty international development program participants. KOICA provides financial support to meet costs of extramural training and to cover allowances and other related expenses (like monthly stipend, roundtrip airfare, etc).
Method of Application
KOICA selects recipients through KOICA offices overseas. Application requirements include:
- Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- Two photos, 3 X 4 cm sized
- Certificate of Degree (or Certificated Expected Graduation form) of all colleges and graduate schools (in English).
- Official transcripts of all colleges and graduate schools (should be SEALED by the issuing institution and written in English).
- A copy of passport
- Two letters of recommendation (Download Available), from professors familiar with the applicant’s academic work, or from professional supervisors.
- TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS score report : Native speakers of English or those who graduated from the university which all courses are conducted in English are exempt from this requirement.
- Certificate of Employment (if applicable)
Online application submission for International Students is between Early October ~ Late October (for commencing spring semester); AND Early April ~ Late April (for commencing fall semester). The online application submission for the next academic session is 10:00 April 3rd(MON) ~ 17:00 May 4th(THUR) 2017
An interview will be conducted only for those applicants who have passed Round 1 (see 'Application procedure' above). The phone interview will be conducted strictly in English and the applicants’ educational objectives and development potential will primarily be evaluated.
KOICA Scholarship Program is fully determined to expand its efforts to nurture future talents from developing countries to promote their countries’ sustainable economic growth and social development. The objectives of this program are twofold: a). To develop human resources that will contribute to the socio-economic advancement of developing countries; and b). To train experts (in the fields of International Development and Trade) needed by the developing countries.
Application Deadline: 4 May 2017
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application (Scholarships)
More Scholarship Information and Application (Admission guideline)
Related: Scholarships in Korea for International Students