Course(s) Offered: Journalism
Course Level: Graduate (fellowships)
Provider: The Dag Hammarskjöld Scholarship Fund
Country to Study in: USA
The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists accepts applications from journalists of the developing nations of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island countries), South America and the Caribbean for the United Nations Journalism Fellowships Program.
The fellowships are available to radio, television, print and web journalists, age 25 to 35, from developing countries who are interested in coming to New York to report on international affairs during the United Nations General Assembly beginning in September each year. The program is not intended to provide basic skills training to journalists, as all participants are media professionals.
The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists is now accepting applications from professional journalists from developing countries for its 2016 fellowship program.
The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists fellowships are open to individuals who:
- Are native of one of the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. In an effort to rotate recipient countries, the Fund will not consider journalist applications for 2016 from nations selected in 2015: Brazil, Ghana, India and Kenya. Journalists from these countries may apply in 2017.
- Currently working full-time for a bona fide media organization in a developing nation.
- Are between the ages of 25 and 35.
- Have a very good command of the English language since United Nations press conferences and many documents are in English only.
- Are currently employed full-time as professional journalists for print, television, radio or internet media organizations.
- Have approval from their media organizations to spend up to three months in New York reporting from the United Nations.
- Receive a commitment from their media organizations that the reports they file during the term of the Fellowship will be used.
- Are prepared technically to file their news stories over WIFI, whether broadcast or print.
Citizens of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island countries), Latin America and the Caribbean
All media organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean
Number of awards
Four journalists are selected each year after a review of all applications
The fellowships will begin in early September and extend to late November
The fellowships will include the cost of travel and accommodations in New York, as well as a per diem allowance. The Fund will provide round-trip airfare to New York, accommodations, health insurance for the duration of the fellowship, and a daily allowance to cover food and other necessities. The Fund will not be responsible for other expenses of a personal nature, such as telephone calls.
The journalists who are awarded fellowships are given the incomparable opportunity to observe international diplomatic deliberations at the United Nations, to make professional contacts that will serve them for years to come, to interact with seasoned journalists from around the world, and to gain a broader perspective and understanding of matters of global concern.
Method of Application
You MUST INCLUDE ALL necessary materials as outlined in the Eligibility Criteria and Documentation Requirements with your application. An originally completed AND signed application, along with all of the Documentation Requirements, should be sent by postal or courier service (such as DHL, Fedex, Airborne). Please note that the Fund cannot accept email applications.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply to this fellowship, and to access the Fellowship Application form.
The application deadline is March 18, 2016.
There are a number of fellowship application Eligibility Criteria and Documentation Requirements that must be satisfied. Be sure to fill out ALL sections of the application including e-mail address and phone numbers.
Your application WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED unless you 1) meet all Eligibility Criteria, 2) satisfy all Documentation Requirements and 3) submit a completed Fellowship Application Form by the stated deadline.
Application Deadline: 18 March 2016
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Facebook Awards for Creative Work and Excellence