Course(s) Offered: Sciences
Course Level: Graduate (phd)
Provider: CAS, TWAS
Country to Study in: China
According to an agreement between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) for the advancement of science in developing countries, up to 200 students/scholars from all over the world will be sponsored to study in China for doctoral degrees for up to 4 years.
This CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme provides students/scholars that are non-Chinese citizens an opportunity to pursue doctoral degrees at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or Institutes of CAS around China.
Under the terms of the CAS-TWAS agreement, travel from their home countries to China will be provided to the fellowship awardees in order to begin the fellowship in China (one trip only per student/scholar). Visa fee will also be covered (once only per student/scholar).
- Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2017;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her fellowship;
- Not hold Chinese citizenship.
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of UCAS/USTC.
- Hold a master degree before the beginning of the fall semester: September, 2016.
- Provide evidence that he/she will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China according to CAS-TWAS agreement.
- Provide proof of knowledge of English or Chinese language.
Citizens of ALL developing countries (EXCEPT China)
a). Colleges and schools of:
- University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS);
- University of Science and Technology of China (USTC); AND
Fields of study
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
Up to 200 students per year. TWAS will select 80 awardees from developing countries to support their international travel, while CAS will support the other 120.
The funding duration of the fellowship is up to 4 years, divided into: i) Maximum 1 year study of courses and participation in centralized training at UCAS/USTC, including 4 months compulsory courses in Chinese Language and Chinese Culture; and ii) Practical research and completion of degree thesis at colleges and schools of UCAS/USTC or CAS institutes.
Any fellowship awardee who fails the qualification test twice will face the consequences including termination of his/her fellowship; discontinuity of his/her PhD study at CAS institutions; and being conferred a certificate of attendance for the period of study undertaken in China but not a formal doctoral degree.
Travel from home countries of awardees to China to begin the fellowship (one trip only per student/scholar). Visa fee will also be covered (once only per student/scholar).
Fellowship awardees will receive a monthly stipend (including accommodation and other living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of RMB 7,000 or RMB 8,000 from CAS through UCAS/USTC, depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged by UCAS/USTC for all PhD candidates after admission.
All awardees will also be provided tuition and admission fee waivers.
Method of Application
Applications must be made online. In order to successfully apply for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship, applicants are requested to follow a few key steps that are indicated below:
- Eligibility criteria: Are you eligible? Do you meet ALL eligibility criteria (e.g. age, etc)?
- Find an eligible Host Supervisor affiliated with UCAS/USTC Universities, Schools or CAS Institutes.
- File your Application Form via the online Application system.
- Prepare all supporting documents (e;g. Admission Application Form for international students, Supervisor's comment page, Reference letters, etc).
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply to this fellowship.
The deadline date for submitting ALL materials and applications is 31st March 2017
Applicants currently pursuing doctoral degrees at any university/institution in China are NOT eligible for this fellowship. Applicants CANNOT apply for both UCAS and USTC simultaneously. Applicants can ONLY apply to ONE supervisor from ONE institute/school in either UCAS or USTC.
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) aims for the advancement of science in developing countries. TWAS is an autonomous international organization, founded in 1983 in Trieste, Italy, by a distinguished group of scientists from the South to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South.
Application Deadline: 31 March 2017
Open to International Applicants: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Scholarships in China for International Students