Course(s) Offered: All fields
Course Level: Graduate (masters, phd)
Provider: P.E.O. IPS Fund
Country to Study in: USA, Canada
The P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship (IPS) Fund was established in 1949 to provide scholarships for qualified selected women students to pursue graduate study in the United States and Canada.
PEO believes that education is fundamental to world peace and understanding, and therefore it aims to help qualified women who desire higher education and are in need of financial assistance.
The Scholarships are awarded annually to women citizens of countries other than the United States or Canada for graduate study in a degree program from schools in the United States and Canada.
- An applicant must be qualified for admission to full-time graduate study and working toward a graduate degree in an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada. A student does not need to be enrolled at the time of application.
- A copy of the applicant’s confirmation of admission must be received by the P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship office by April 1 in order to complete the application. This notice must specify the graduate degree program. No consideration will be given to applicants lacking evidence of admission.
- A student holding citizenship or permanent residency in the United States or Canada is NOT eligible.
- A scholarship is not given for research, internships, or for practical training unless it is combined with coursework.
- Awards are not to be used to pay past debts.
- Scholarships are not awarded for travel.
- In order to qualify for her first scholarship, an applicant must have a full year of coursework remaining and be enrolled and in residence for the entire school year.
- Doctoral students who have completed coursework and are working only on dissertations are not eligible as first-time applicants.
- Doctoral students in medicine or dentistry will be considered in the final two (2) years of coursework, internship or residency.
The scholarship is based upon demonstrated financial need; however, the award is not intended to cover all academic or personal expenses.
Citizens of all other countries of the world (EXCEPT the United States or Canada)
All approved/accredited schools (college or university) in the United States and Canada
Fields of study
Any graduate masters degree or doctoral degree program in any field of study
Number of awards
Not specified, but several will be given
The scholarship is for the whole duration of the applicant's study program. A recipient in graduate school is eligible to apply for one (1) renewal of her scholarship. She may receive scholarship assistance for no more than two (2)years
The scholarships are given as GRANTS-IN-AID and are not intended to cover all academic or personal expenses. The maximum scholarship amount for one (1) year of study is $12,500, based upon need. Lesser amounts may be awarded according to individual need.
Method of Application
Eligibility must be established before application material is sent to applicants. To determine eligibility, complete the Eligibility Form and submit. The eligibility information is available at the official website at any time but the completed form will be accepted electronically in the IPS office only between 15 September and 15 December 2015.
It is important to read the Scholarship Policy(pdf) and visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this scholarship.
IPS begins to accept Eligibility Forms for the following academic year from 15 September. Last day to submit Eligibility Forms is 15 December 2015. Note that the Eligibility forms will not be accepted before September 15 or after December 15.
Last day to submit completed application materials from applicants already enrolled in the graduate program and school for which their scholarship is intended is March 1, 2016. Last day to submit completed application materials from applicants not yet enrolled in the graduate program or school for which the scholarship is intended is April 1, 2016. Last day to submit completed application materials for applicants who will be attending Cottey College is April 1, 2016.
If eligible, an applicant will be required to complete and sign a document promising to return to her home country or to a location outside the United States or Canada within sixty (60) days, depending on her visa status, upon completion of her degree program(s) or Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Each applicant has 60 days from the date her eligibility form is approved to submit her completed application material. The material includes the Application Form, Personal Statement (or Progress Report for renewals), Educational/Employment Resume, Recommendations and the Return Travel Guarantee Form. These may all be downloaded from the official website (link to it is below).
Application Deadline: 15 December 2015 || 1 March / 1 April 2016
Open to International students: Yes
More Scholarship Information and Application
Related: Top Scholarships for Developing Country Women